MBP stolen. Worth it to contact Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trudd, Apr 30, 2007.

1. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

My house was burglarized yesterday and they made off with my MBP, cameras and movies. Is it worth reporting the serial # to Apple? Are they proactive in tracking down stolen laptops?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do not know but I hope you can recover some of your stuff. Losing a computer seems to be something that I fear most. Not because of the material item, but because of the data.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

They will probably blacklist it so that they can save on their warranty liability for that one laptop, not sure about the tracking bit though.

4. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

PEOPLE SUCK.

And Apple... they could probably care less. I suspect they would be more concerned with someone using your serial number for obtaining a discount upgrade to Jag. That would effect them personally!

Anyone here use LoJack for the Mac? :confused:

5. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that man.. people these days are terrible. You might have some luck if you contact Apple, not entirely sure though.

I'm also wondering, does anyone use LoJack?

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Probably not worth contacting. I don't think they would care. In fact, they want you to buy a new one anyway.
    What is LoJack?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Lawdy mercy, so much guesswork... why not just check at the source

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300066
    "How to report lost or stolen Apple product?
    Apple does not have a formal flagging process for reporting stolen property. If you have lost or found an Apple product, please contact your local law enforcement agency to report it."

Informally, Authorized Apple dealers locally may keep a watch list of serials that come in for repair or come in to buy AC adaptors. But that depends on the local stores.

LoJack for Laptops

8. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I can't believe that such a thing can happen down south. You must be in a city: I hate living in cities. I hate people who take and steal. Move somewhere where you can trust people.

9. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

What people in the OLDEN days didnt steal?

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, report it. If it is brought in to a store, they can report to the police.

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

No, but people in different places don't steal. I lived in Germany last year on the first floor and used my window as a door (in case I forget my keys). Roomates did the same. Anyway, left my powerbook on my desk in front of the window. Never a problem and never worried about it being a problem.

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Oh yeah, i forgot I had something to add to the thread.

Do you have insurance? Is there anything about theft in your insurance? Just curious. My friend got specific insurance for his powerbook. Had to file a police report, but he got the cash relatively quick to replace his computer.

I don't know anything about insurance, but it was just a thought.

13. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Yeah, with the exception of WWI, WWII and Hitler, those Germans are upstanding world citizens! :rolleyes:

14. jng macrumors 65816

jng

You're stereotyping. tsk tsk.

15. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Facts aren't a stereotype. And I switched to Mac because I am tired of PC.

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I assume you have renters insurance? If so, the insurance company is going to be more proactive then Apple ever will be in getting that computer back because they're in the hole for the money.

17. trudd thread starter macrumors regular

trudd

Long story short, everything is going to be covered by insurance (after an $1800 deductible).

I'm a film student so my parents homeowner's insurance covered me.

The Juicy Details:
    I left at 6:30 to have dinner. My roommate came back at 7:30 and found the house a wreck. They broke in right after I left (they were staking out). It was broad daylight.

In all, they stole...

4 laptops (2 Apple, 2 Dell)
    5 cameras
    - my Sony handycam
    - my Canon 20d (w/ 28-135 EF lens, and battery grip attached)
    - my Canon p&s
    - the school's Canon XL1 (which we had rented out all semester and were returning the next morning)
    - roommate's Canon digital elph
    DVD player
    Gamecube
    25 of my DVDs
    iPod Shuffle
    roommate's portable hard drive

The short film I had been working on since January was being duplicated from one of my hard drives to another when they broke in. The ripped the laptop off the desk (consequently pulling my 20" LCD, keyboard and mouse with it). That must've freaked them out so they forgot to grab the drives. If they had taken all 5 of my external drives, I would've lost all the pictures and film projects from the last 3 years.

All I have left right now are my harddrives and my Canon GL2. As long as I have my harddrives, I'm a happy camper.

Next week: shopping spree.

18. dgtlfnk macrumors newbie

dgtlfnk

Holy cow, they cleaned you guys out! :mad: And "staking you out" is RIGHT! Someone had obviously seen you coming and going with cameras and equipment. Either that or someone from your school or knows yer in film school.

Anyway... sorry for that, man. I had that happen once in my life... and its a very sickening feeling. Thank goodness you still have your footage and photos. And well, the BEST thing for that knot-in-your-gut feeling is what you already mentioned... SHOPPING SPREE! :D

Just one other thing... are all 5 drives filled with DIFFERENT and original stuff? Or are some of them backup drives? Just the thought of you having 3 years worth of work, 5 DRIVES WORTH, and only one copy.... kinda gives me the heeby jeebies! :eek:

Oh... and sorry I don't have much to contribute to your questions. I just related a bit to your story and wanted to pass along my empathy.

19. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

That's odd. I just saw an auction on eBay for:

4 laptops (2 Apple, 2 Dell)
    5 cameras
    - my Sony handycam
    - my Canon 20d (w/ 28-135 EF lens, and battery grip attached)
    - my Canon p&s
    - the school's Canon XL1 (which we had rented out all semester and were returning the next morning)
    - roommate's Canon digital elph
    DVD player
    Gamecube
    25 of my DVDs
    iPod Shuffle
    roommate's portable hard drive

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I feel for you. That would really suck.

20. cobravap macrumors regular

I feel for you. Except i dont think insurance covers mine. my mbp 2.33 was stolen on monday by some ****! my apt wasnt broken into, but stole it from my backpack. I reported it stolen to the cops, but apple didnt give a ****. Also, the cops have to call apple from my understanding.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

noooo a digital SLR. I'd die if someone stole my rebel xt, sure its not the most expensive model, but I spent a lot of my savings on that thing. And i'd do the same if someone stole my MBP too..spent a lot of my savings on this thing too. :eek:

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple does not keep a database of stolen computer (even though they should) You would be best to give the serial number to the police. In most places if someone pawns anything of value there is a holding period where the serial number can be verified with the police.

I have Under Cover installed on my MBP. When you get your mbp back/get another one. I would suggest getting something like Under Cover. I was only $40 and well worth it in my opinion.

23. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

What's that? LoJack?

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Let this be a lesson to all:

http://us.kensington.com/html/11209.html

Buy and use locks. All notebooks have them, along with many external hard drives, LCDs, etc.

They may not prevent a really determined criminal, but most criminals won't bother to try to steal something that is locked down. They just want to get in and get out, so if you can make it difficult for them to get something, they probably won't take it.