MBP stopped recognising external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ken Masters, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Ken Masters macrumors member

I've been using my Lacie external HDD for a while without any problems. However; I accidentally pulled out the USB cable without ejecting first and now my MBP won't recognise the drive.

It sees it in Disk Utility but won't mount it so I can transfer files etc.

Is there a simple fix?

Attached Files:

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

if you were writing data to the hard disk while you accidentally pulled the usb cord out, then you corrupted the drive, all of the data of the drive is corrupt is my guess.

3. Ken Masters thread starter macrumors member

Whoops. Does that mean it's all gone and no way to get it back?

EDIT: also, when I said I accidentally pulled the USB cable out that's not strictly true.

I was downloading some files straight to my external HDD, paused the downloads because I needed to take my laptop to a meeting. Waited a minute and then pressed the eject button but it didn't eject so I pressed it a few more times waiting a couple more minutes and then eventually just had to pull the USB cord because I was going to be late for the meeting. Not sure if that makes any difference though!

4. Ken Masters thread starter macrumors member

Well in case anyone's interested, I still can't get OSX to recognise the drive but I just installed Windows XP via VMWare Fusion and could access all the files no probs. All is not lost! Trusty Windows :D