MBP Storage Discrepancy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleDApp, Oct 25, 2015.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Hey all!

I have a MBP I am trying to clean some of the things on the drive. I am getting different information in different places I check.

AFAIK the most reliable reading comes from the get info window on Macintosh HD. The about this Mac window says I have 200GB of other data.

Any idea how I can get these three tools to display the same amount of available storage? I have tried multiple scans with DaisyDisk and tried a reboot nothing seems to sync them up.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 2.41.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 2.42.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 2.42.32 PM.png

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

First... just ignore that Other readout. It is completely messed up and inaccurate in both Yosemite and El Capitan.

But the reason your totals are showing different amounts is because of Time Machine's local snapshots. You are using 64GB for these local snapshots. That space IS included in the Disk Utility total and is not included in the Finder total, hence the difference.

You are fine. :)

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

great thanks how I can I reduce or eliminate the time machine local snapshots? I backup everyday it should be that much for local snapshots?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even if you backup, it still uses that space. You have some options.

1. Ignore it. When the disk approaches 80% full the OS will begin to shrink down that space.
    2. Turn Time Machine off then back on and the space will be zeroed out. But it will begin to grow again.
    3. Run the command below in Terminal to disable the feature.

Code:
    sudo tmutil disablelocal

5. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Great thank I will try that when I get home.

6. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Hey Weaselboy thank you for the command this has very helpful on multiple machines this week.

Code:
    sudo tmutil enablelocal