MBP storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stellerd, Aug 13, 2017.

1. stellerd macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm about to buy a new MBP for college. I am going to study science, but the majority of essays and presentations will be on the cloud. I do light music work through logic but that doesn't take up too much space and the only other thing that takes up space on my current 128gb drive is my 10gb file of a skyrim wrapper. I'm wondering if you have any input on what storage size would be best for me. How large should my HD be? The reason I ask is because I'm on a really tight budget and every penny counts for me, but I need a new computer before I ship out for college. If I can't do 128gb, would I be better off buying the baseline MB for the 256gb and take the hit on power of the computer? Please help!

Note: On my current MBA 128gb, I use up 100gb... (thats after 4 years of high school essays and crap on the drive)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017 ---
    I can always use a usb drive via adaptor for essays and stuff which would save me the 200$ on the ssd upgrade.

2. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Because money is tight I would recommend getting a used 2016. I just purchased a 13" 256gb w touchbar that is 3 1/4 months old for over $600 less than it would have cost me to purchase it new. I already purchased Apple's extended warranty, so it's good to go for a few years. For me, it's plenty fast for my workload.

3. stellerd thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm buying from Best Buy because better discounts / turn in prices for me devises which brings the $1200 price down to $700 for me. They don't have the 2016 models I don't think.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You can make the 256gb drive work if you need to.
    If you need more storage for "occasional stuff", go to USB3.