MBP Strange Wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wingnut330, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I have recently started having issues with the wireless connectivity of my MBP and I'm curious what you folks think...

A couple of months ago I noticed that my wireless connection would drop to one or 2 bars on my couch in my great room - about 25 feet away form my Time Capsule. Even though I had been using the MBP in this room for a year or so, I thought maybe there was some kind of new interference. So, I bought a Airport Base Station and plugged it into a wall in my great room - about 8 feet from where I am right now. As I type this my range goes from 2 bars to full bars and is now at 3 bars. I can't figure out why it is happening. Wait, back to full bars now.

Anyway, another oddity is that when my machine does a Time Machine backup to the Time Capsule over my wireless network my reception (regardless of where I am in the house) drops to 2 bars for the duration of my backup.

Any ideas?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

My early 08 did the same thing, Apple had to replace the wifi/bluetooth board and it was fixed.

3. shipwrecked macrumors member

My unibody MacBook Pro was getting really spotty wireless the first few days I had it. Played around with my base station configs, changed the multicast rate to 5.5Mbps and Wireless Security to WPA2 personal and it seemed to speed things up quite a bit.

Though, if you do have a hardware problem, my suggestion won't help...but just incase it isn't, the changes did help.

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was it something they could do in the Apple Store or was it sent away?

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It was sent away, but I live 2hr from the store. I just called Applecare. I tried the wireless with the computer sitting 2ft from the router with 3/2 bars it constantly changed connection and sometimes dropped entirely. If you do a little digging on google you'll find the MacBook Pro has been plagued with wireless issues since it's inception in 2006.

6. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea - I noticed that when I looked a bit. I was hoping for a quick solution, but based on what you are saying that doesn't sound possible. I'm gonna setup an appointment with the Genius Bar and see what happens.

I really don't want to ship it away and lose it for a week or so.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah, there are a couple geniuses at Easton who are very "by the book" and won't accept a repair unless it's obviously not working and won't just trust your word. Hopefully that won't happen ;) There is one though, I don't remember his name but he looks hispanic, who's always very helpful with trusting me about intermittent issues, especially after I tell him how far I drove just for this one problem. I'm from Chillicothe/Jackson area if you know where that is, so quite a trek for me.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

mine too

but, it has only started happening in the past few days. Since the last SW upgrade and safari 4 beta install.

What happens to me is, the BARS are full, but the wireless throughput just drops to ZERO for a few seconds, maybe 10 seconds and then comes BACK up. I don't understand the peaks and valleys in the throughput?

Is there some way one can test this, other than the traditional online "test my speed" tests.

When I run the speakeasy.net test, I ultimatly get my peak 5.5MB/s, but it ranges from 14kps, to 200kps, to 5000kps, to 125kps, etc.

What can one do?

9. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Safari 4 is just a coincidence. I don't have S4. I wonder if yours just started acting weird at the same time as the upgrade.

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Sometimes i get similar behavior with the peaks and valleys on my unibody 15inch.