MBP String of Defects - PLEASE ADVISE - 4 bad ones!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McL0vin, Mar 16, 2008.

1. McL0vin macrumors newbie

This is my first post, and I have been following the many threads about MBP display issues since the SR revision. Following is our purchase story, which seems to find no happy ending and we're getting extremely frustrated.

My girlfriend and I both purchased a refurbished 15" SR 2.4 mbp when the penryns came out. Since then, I had to return mine because it had the unacceptable red-green (and other color) gradients exhibited by the samsung displays, and hers recently broke down with a logic board failure.

Since she absolutely needed a computer and had nothing to fall back on, my gf decided to go for a new 15" penryn, wanting to avoid losing any more time. The first one back from the store had the 9C83 display with color gradients just as bad as the one I first returned, along with some nice yellowing on the bottom. Clearly apple has not addressed these issues in the new machines.

In any case, we decided to return it immediately, and of course, the new one has the same display, just as bad gradients, and to top it off, a warped case on the left. The icing on the cake: it just did the alternating backlight columns issue which has recently popped on these threads (the one where every other light is off).

We are at a loss. For all those who have managed to get a good MBP: What can we do? During the last exchange, the store manager warned that would be the last exchange, even though every single store MBP (air and macbook as well) has no gradient issues. She also said the gradient issue was within spec, though I immediately got her to agree that since none of the machines on display do it, it cannot be called within 'spec'. Calibration does not solve the problem.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

They can't tell you that you will not get another replacement,.. you have Applecare so they have to deal with you. I would email steve jobs personally, there are many stories of his staff dealing with situations like these.

sjobs@apple.com if I'm not mistaken.

3. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

hmm. Is there another apple store that you can take it too? Perhaps that apple store has a bad batch of mbp (which could be highly unlikely). I've had a recent string of bad mbp's also, 3 were defective. I went to another apple store which solved my problems (hopefully its been a little over 2 weeks). They shouldn't have said that they won't replace again since its obviously defective and you well in return policy.

-JoE