MBP stuck in startup screen :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Combat Taco, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Combat Taco macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm a n00b here and a little desperate for help.

My 1st gen dual core Intel MBP will not go past this screen, even with an install disk in there. I can't do anything, it just sits there, dead, for as long as it feels like.

Any ideas? I realllllly don't want to have to take it to someone to fix it because I can barely afford groceries right now, much less a bill to fix a mac.

Any ideas? Anyone?:eek:

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

not at my mac, but google 'safe mode os x'.
    you should be able to boot into safe mode, and run 'fsck'...
    repair the os if that's damaged.

first, tho...are you holding the C key when u boot (until the spinning icon)?
    if that doesn't work, try holding option.
    that MAY take you to a screen where u can select to boot to the cd.
    THEN try running disk utility...

3. Combat Taco thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

Insert your original installation disc, and hold down CMD+Option at the same time whilst the machine boots.

5. Combat Taco thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that next. I'm trying safe mode to see if that helps.

6. shanimal macrumors member

forgot how to get to safe mode but if you find out, clear cache by clicking on desktop or Finder, click "Go" in menu bar, hold option key and click the "library" menu, the highlight all and drag to trash bin. then command+r while pushing the start button to start and boot to recovery. verify disk and repair permissions. restart.

7. pscraig macrumors member

DO NOT DO THIS!

What the heck are you trying to do? Help them or sabotage their computer? Deleting the entire library folder will render the computer useless and likely require a full reinstall of the OS. I'm not even sure OS X will even allow you to delete the entire library folder.

If the goal is to wipe the drive and restore then use Disk Utility from the recovery partition, restore DVDs, or whatever they have.

And to boot into Safe mode, it's real simple-just hold down Shift while rebooting.

8. shanimal macrumors member

i meant delete the contents of the cache folder thats in to library folder. sorry, im on my phone. i just re-read my post and that would not have been good.

9. iMacC2D, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017