MBP stuck on white screen since last night

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicname, Jul 27, 2011.

1. nicname macrumors member

Alright so yesturday I tried to downgrade the firm ware on my iPhone and needed to change the host files on my Mac. For some reason my mbp wouldn't authorize me to do this so I searches some videos online and finally figured that in order to do this I needed to right click on Macintosh hd, choose get info, looked st the last tab and selected my user as authorized to read and write files. I clicked some button ( IDR the nAme) and a loading screen popped up saying authorizing all files. I thought I figured it out till error messages started popping up so I panicked and decided to restart my comp. Now it's been on the white apple loading screen for 9 hours

What should I try first to fix this? I've heard of clearing pram or something or is this only fixable through a reinstallation of osx???

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Do you have a backup? Just restore.

If not, insert your OS X Install DVD. Hold Option while you boot and select to boot from the CD. Run Disk Utility and repair permissions on your boot drive. Restart and see what happens.

3. nicname thread starter macrumors member

Will this clear my hdd?

4. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Before you panic, always try holding shift after starting your macbook. This will start "safe mode" and it might fix your problem. Try it first and then post results.

5. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

6. nicname thread starter macrumors member

Tried safe mode, there was a loading screen then nothing. If I follow getz steps will it clear all my memory??

7. Fry-man22, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Just DO NOT erase or partition your boot drive and you should not lose any data. Repairing permissions will NOT erase your data and should be your first step. If repairing permissions does not resolve your issue you can reinstall OS x. Just reinstall - DO NOT prepare the disk in any way. I'll post a link on reinstalling shortly.

Here's a link walking through repairing permissions from the DVD
    http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810

OK so every install link I find is walking through and "erase and install" which is NOT what you want to do. Just insert the install DVD and hold down the "option" key and select the DVD or boot holding the "C" key. Then just step through the install with the default settings. Once again though, you messed with permissions and caused the boom so repairing them should be all that is required.

8. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

getz76's suggestion is spot on and will NOT clear your memory. Just REPAIR the disc and you should be fine.

Attached Files:

9. nicname thread starter macrumors member

Getz was right. It worked out perfectly. Thanks guy!!!!!

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Glad it worked out.

Once in a great while, I get one right.