MBP Student discount, International Buying

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Skullerfly, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Skullerfly macrumors newbie

I am very excited about the announcement of the new Macbook Pro (retina) and I've decided to take the plunge and buy one!

A little background first: I am a 17 year old british student, with a student card and that jazz, but I am going on holiday to California in the summer (26th july - 10 august) and I intend to purchase the computer over in the US, as it is much cheaper.

Would I be able to take advantage of the student discount whilst in the US, because that would also make the MBP cheaper, what blagging would this require and can anyone help me?

Also, are there any import taxes or power adapter problems i should look out for besides the obvious different adapter required?

Thankyou Very much for your time

CB.

2. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Also forgot to mention I'd like to take advantage of the 'Back to School' offer.

Thanks! :)

3. i.love.caffeine macrumors newbie

Hate to break it to you, but you won't be able to buy it in the US.

I tried to buy a new Retina MBP as a Canadian student in the US and they said they did not recognize my school.

4. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

You think maybe I could say I went to a US school? Dishonest I know, but I want this damnit

5. i.love.caffeine macrumors newbie

Anybody know if this works???

I believe that they verify your student status - or else it would be very easy for anybody to come in and just say that they are a student.

6. jcb10 macrumors regular

Last time I bought something with a student discount in an Apple Store (late 2008), they asked for my student ID card. But because I went to San Francisco State University, which doesn't put a date sticker or expiration date on their cards, they needed more proof. All I had to do was log onto my student schedule online on one of their display Macbooks, but they did look for proof.

Compare that to a recent purchase with student discount at my university bookstore, all they did was ask for my student ID number to write on the paperwork. No other verification. The OP might have better success walking into a large university's on-campus bookstore while he's in California. They might just assume he's a student and give him the discount.

The OP also needs to be aware that sales tax in large California cities is close to 10 percent, effectively cancelling out the student discount (although still cheaper than retail in the rest of the state).

7. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help:) do you think I could show them a UK student card and they'd still do it?

----------

It dosnt overtly say HEY IM ENGLISH

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Are you a uni student? If so you get 15% off and a free 3 year warranty in the UK, that's a pretty good deal. See my sig for details.

9. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, yeah, but the basic prices, even with sales tax are about 200£ cheaper in the US

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Does that include AppleCare? Buying in the US it's more important and UK consumer protection laws clearly don't apply. So yes you get the 1 year warranty from Apple, but after that you've not got much room to argue. In the UK consumer protection laws are better, and like I said you get a free 3 year warranty as a student anyway.

11. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

At this point I really only care about the basic price, and the 100$ app money

12. danetello macrumors 6502

Worth a try I guess, worst they could say is no. Have you checked the university discount for the UK store? It is quite substantial (£272 discount on base RMBP)

13. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's alright, but even without the edu- discount in the US I think it works out just a tad cheaper.

14. abz1981 macrumors 65816

You will also have to pay custom fees I believe for this product when you bring it back into the UK. Dont know how much that was. But I remember someone else here bought an apple product in the USA but with the custom fee's it ended up being the same price as he would have paid in the UK.

I personally think IstudentUk's suggestion is best idea. Especially with 3 year warranty and that.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

have you added in the extra for state & local sales tax? Those aren't included in advertised prices in the US since they vary from place to place.......depending on where in california you buy, figure on adding an additional 8% to 9% to any advertised prices you've seen

16. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

If you really want to buy it in the States, just ask one of your US friends who are students to buy it for you with your money. You can then bring it to UK as your personal belongings.

You can even buy it online!

17. jcb10, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

jcb10 macrumors regular

Probably. Depending on the generosity of the employee. I've never seen anything that says it has to be a school in the local area. After all, plenty of US universities are nowhere near Apple Stores.

Another poster mentioned UK customs/import fees. I'd bet if you threw away the box and just kept your new laptop in your luggage, no one would be the wiser and not know it was yours prior to leaving the UK (maybe ship the power cord back separately). Not that I, in any way, advocate customs fraud.

18. applegigs macrumors member

applegigs

Did that back in 2010 3 Macbook Pro's without boxes in sleeves. I did get stopped at Copenhagen Airport check point asked me why I have so many computers told them I am programmer and one is never enough. They couldn't prove I purchased them in the states. At the author try getting your moms back for making a purchase in US might get a few extra $$ back.

19. Skullerfly thread starter macrumors newbie

applegigs: thats a great idea, so i'll do it like that, what do you mean about the last part of your post?