MBP suddenly got LOUD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redhood, Jul 8, 2011.

1. redhood macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I have a Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009. It has always been good to me and dead silent until recently it started to develop a loud continuous buzzing/humming sound. It is so loud that it is pretty difficult to hear anything thats playing. I'm fairly sure its the fan making the noise. What's strange is that it's at a fairly low temperature of 55 degrees C and the fan speed is at approximately 2000rpm.
    The noise is not only annoying but worrying :(

Does anyone have a positive idea on what the problem is? Is it simply excess dust? If so, how do I clean it?

Thanks in advance!

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

if it is dust you open the bottom plate. the fan is near the display hinge. i did mine with a slightly damp towel. or you can use a compressed air can.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

if u think it's dust, open her up, grab a can of compressed air, open ur windows and get the dust out.

also do a PRAM reset.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

It can be dust... and it can also be summer.

Outside temperatures are rising so the fans need to work harder.

Up till one week ago I had never heard the fan on my MBP.

5. redhood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will give that a try. Do I need to take the fan out of the body at all?
    Would you know if I might need to replace the fans completely?

I'm in Australia so its winter and very much cold :p

6. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

no u don't need to take out the fan.

7. redhood thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. i tried what was suggested above, it didn't help much.
    I then followed this guide. Instead of WD40, i used sewing machine oil which made more sense to me.
    It was super quite (as it normally should be) when i first turned it on. However, after about 5 minutes, it went back to a noisy state. Definitely not as raucous as before but still kinda loud. Does this help pinpoint what the problem maybe?

Thanks!

8. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

can u figure out if the fan is causing the noise? sometimes if the fans get old/over used it will get noisy.

if u can pinpoint out to one of the fans u can just buy a replacement fan from ifixit and replace it...

9. redhood thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I have FINALLY got my MBP to work completely like it did before, silently, even at 5000+ rpm.

With some more fiddling with the fan, I figured I needed to give it a better clean & oiling. I wish I could upload a guide on how I repaired it since I found, during my search for solutions, that many others had similar problems.

I guess I could be posting this prematurely and the fan could give in at any moment but if it does, I think its time for me to just get a new fan haha. Fingers crossed, it stays this way for at least another 2 years.

Thanks for all your help & suggestions!

10. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

My cousin said don't use compressed air. I am in the same situation as you. Today, in fact, I used a simple household vacuum and vacuumed the underside where the fan(s) are. For the most part. It's running so quiet, but I still get a slightly audible "wzzzzz" sound from time to time. But it's livable until I figure out if I actually need (a) new fan replacement(s).

11. dime21 macrumors 6502

u dnt ned to tk out teh phan.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040