Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hello all

I'm a new mac user and my MBP (15" mid-2012) battery was all drained (it warned me when it reached 5%), but then it suddenly went off like when you remove the power plug of a windows laptop that doesn't have a battery. BAM and the screen and whole machine went off.

It didn't save my opened windows/apps and it didn't go to hibernate so I don't loose my data.

Is it supposed to go off like that? Is there a fix for this issue?

Thanks

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I've never used my MBP when the battery gets that low to know if it just keeps working until the battery is dead or if it will force itself into hibernate. I know that when not being used it will go into hibernate.

What's your battery health? Perhaps it has low health and the remaining power drops off too quick for it to hibernate. I suspect, based on the battery calibration instructions, that it should automatically go to sleep/hibernate even if being used.

If you continue to use your Mac and you see the low battery warning, save your work and close all apps. Keep your Mac turned on until it goes to sleep when the battery runs down.

Here's another test you can do, also in the Help provided with your computer.

If your battery runs out of charge more quickly than you expected, check your battery’s condition.

Hold down the Option key and click the battery icon in the menu bar.
Normal: the battery is functioning normally.

Replace Soon: the battery is functioning normally but holds less charge than it did when it was new.

Replace Now: the battery is functioning normally but holds significantly less charge than it could when it was new. You can continue to use your battery until you replace it without harming your computer.

Service Battery: your battery is not functioning normally, and you should have your computer serviced.

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
would you not expect it to shut off when it runs out of power? It can't run if it runs out of power

I'm not sure how much is saved, if any.

I would expect it to go to sleep/hibernate like windows laptops at least.

I don't think that any company would program their machines to turn off that way, as it's not good for the machine as far as I know.

I've never used my MBP when the battery gets that low to know if it just keeps working until the battery is dead or if it will force itself into hibernate. I know that when not being used it will go into hibernate.

What's your battery health? Perhaps it has low health and the remaining power drops off too quick for it to hibernate. I suspect, based on the battery calibration instructions, that it should automatically go to sleep/hibernate even if being used.

Here's another test you can do, also in the Help provided with your computer.

I've checked the battery condition and it shows normal.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Hello all

I'm a new mac user and my MBP (15" mid-2012) battery was all drained (it warned me when it reached 5%), but then it suddenly went off

I'm 99.9% sure I know what the problem is. There is a bad cell in the battery. I've seen it before and had it happen to my 2006 MBP. When the battery goes to use that cell there is no power there so off it goes.

It is not software or hardware (LB I mean). The battery will need to be replaced or you will have to avoid going that low.

On my 2006 MBP Apple just sent me a new battery and I was able to put it in. You will have to send it in or have it replaced at the nearest repair center.

I wish I had better news for you. :)

-P

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
That is too bad :(

So in conclusion, was it supposed to go to hibernate mode or anything like that to save my data?

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Yes, it's supposed to do that.

You have a MBP, not a Retina, so I don't see why you can't get a replacement battery and do the repair yourself.

That would void the warranty. Also why would I pay for a new battery and risk messing up something in the machine when I have warranty? I'd rather take it to a service center when my summer vacation starts.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
That would void the warranty. Also why would I pay for a new battery and risk messing up something in the machine when I have warranty? I'd rather take it to a service center when my summer vacation starts.

You never mentioned the warranty, being that you still have a warranty you should have had a service center diagnose and fix it in the first place, IMO. ;) People diagnosing the problem here won't guarantee that it will be fixed under warranty or that the problem is even what people here say, the service center has their own steps for troubleshooting and getting authorization for repairs.

I think we all agree that it's a battery problem, hopefully the service center does as well and will happily replace it under warranty. Good luck!

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You never mentioned the warranty, being that you still have a warranty you should have had a service center diagnose and fix it in the first place, IMO. ;) People diagnosing the problem here won't guarantee that it will be fixed under warranty or that the problem is even what people here say, the service center has their own steps for troubleshooting and getting authorization for repairs.

I think we all agree that it's a battery problem, hopefully the service center does as well and will happily replace it under warranty. Good luck!

Service centers here aren't as good as the ones you have. They keep the machine with them for a long time and you can't trust some of them with your stuff.

I just wanted to get an idea on what is the problem and if I could solve it myself without trying to deal with service centers. And I don't think that they will replace it form the first time. I've never had anything replaced in any of my devices/machines from any company in this country without going back to them a hundred times with the same problem. They are all stupid and still don't know that pleasing a costumer makes them earn a lot of money. Replacing is just the last option they keep in their minds, even if the problem is obvious.

Anyways I'll drop my MBP for service after I finish my summer courses. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.