Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
Hi can someone please help explain why my MBP is running very hot under OS X. It started about 2 days ago, to the point where in just a few minutes the laptop is running very hot and fans going probably at 100% (but I didn't test this). I'm using windows under bootcamp now and that is fine, so I don't think it's the hardware.

I have checked the ram use and thing seems normal - the highest being safari around 250mb with many tabs open. Would it be something using the CPU to make it heat up? Even with nothing open it heats up in a few minutes.

This was before the most recent update, and after the recent update. It's a 13" 2010 MBP.

Thanksyou

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Did you apply both Mac Os X 10.6.5 and the EFI update, didn't you?

Apple is going to replace a MR member's machine who had a sever issue with his machine after he applied the EFI update.

Open Activity Monitor, select all processes, sort by CPU and check if you have any CPU hog running.

If everything is ok, try reinstalling Mac OS X 10.6.5 Combo update and see if that fixes the issue. Otherwise call Apple.

I hope this helps.

wbham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
Thanks, I didn't know about the "all processes" part. I had a look, turned out my printer driver was at 99.9% cpu. I'm assuming it was that, so i've killed that and I can already feel it cooling down. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.