MBP suddenly running very slowly...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aarwynn, Mar 31, 2014.

1. aarwynn macrumors newbie

Yesterday, my Mac started running very slowly. The OS as a whole is very slow, rather than just one specific program. It has never behaved like this before, and I cannot recall any specific changes that would make it behave this way. My Time Machine back-up has also been "Preparing Backup..." for a few hours now. Not sure if this is related, but usually it does not take this long to prepare.

I have tried SMC reset and repairing my disk in recovery mode, but these have not helped. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Very many thanks,

Aaron

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB memory.

2. macgeek88 Suspended

I'd repair permissions (you didn't say if you repaired the HD and the permissions or just the HD, but permissions would help) and throw in a PRAM reset as well.

Also, you could try running something like OnyX and see if cleaning your cache helps any.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

I've had this, and maybe this is your case as well. Its about the distnoted process. There are quite a few web pages on this. Try google.

I'm not suggesting any solution because I banged on the mac again and again with multiple tries until "something" worked. So I am at a loss to telling you how I solved the matter.

5. aarwynn thread starter macrumors newbie

The End Result

Hi everyone -- thank you for your replies. I was MIA in this thread because as it turned out, my hard drive was completely dead (thankfully, I have a Time Machine backup).

Payed a visit to the Apple Store yesterday and they replaced it that very same day! $200 after tax. Could have been worse.