MBP Suddenly slow. Please Help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GinsterMk3, Jun 13, 2012.

1. GinsterMk3 macrumors newbie

I have searched and serched and have done everything I could so far. Yesterday I decided to organize my MBP and delete things I no longer use or need. As far as I can remember I have not deleted anything important but my computer since then has been beyond slow. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING I do it takes atleast 3 minutes to open and I have the wonderful rainbow ball. Even trying to log out or even initially log in it takes a long time. I tried the other two accounts and for a few seconds everything worked smooth but then started to be slow as well. I been watching the Activity monitor and nothing is taking up space. Here are stats.

CPU
    %User 0.25
    %System 0.25
    % Idle 99.25 (I have not seen this fall below 90%.

System Memory
    Free: 2.41 Gb VW Size:135.00 Mb
    Wired:644.1 Mb Page Ins: 359.00 Mb
    Active:621.2 Mb Page Outs: 0 bytes
    Inactive:235.3 Mb Swap used: 0 bytes
    Used:1.47 Gb

I have deleted all the Cache and have repair the permissions. I have absolutely no clue what to do anymore. I am new with Mac but a quick learner. I have tried the PRAM reset I believe it is. I do not have my disk with me because I work offshore so I can not do anything with that till I get back home. I would hate to restore my computer but if I have too I will.

Computer Info

I have a mid 2010 MBP with the intel I5 processor, 4gb ram DDR(thinking of upgrading anyways) 320Gb HD with 189Gb being utilized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GinsterMk3 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. imorton macrumors 6502

Check the Activity Monitor for any runaway process...

4. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I was having huge slowdowns with my late-2008 unibody. Last year I went from 2gb to 6gb of ram and it pretty much eliminated it till recently.

Lately I've been noticing that internet browsing is horrible. Just last week I got a letter in the mail from Comcast, saying my modem is obsolete and I should upgrade. While I was researching that, I got annoyed with the constant complaining in FF about missing plugins (this started a couple of weeks ago). I upgraded FF to the latest version figuring that would fix the plugin issue (it didn't). What it did do is make my browsing super speedy again.

Go figure.