MBP suggestion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youngsunnz, Nov 8, 2010.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

What macbook pro would you recommed for my needs. I am currently a student and I use iwork and other documents i surf the web alot and also i occasionally use ilife for imovie and iphoto to edit videos and photos, but thats occasionally. I also play need for speed carbon every now and then. I had the most recent macbook pro 13in 2.4 ghz but that got stolen someone broke into my house so i have to replace it asap because of school. Would you recommend the macbook pro 13 2.4ghz or 2.6 ghz or the 15in 2.4ghz for my needs. Thank you. BTW if anyone knows how i can get my macbook pro back like tracking it please let me, i didnt have a software like lojack unfortunately. Thank you

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Since you are a student I would recommend going with a used 2010 13" MBP model. It will be more durable than the white macbook. The light weight and long battery will be very beneficial to you at school.

Unfortunatly, i think once your old machine is gone, it's too late. If you have renters insurance you can file a police report and then make a claim. In the future, you can use something like dropbox or carbonite to protect your data and back it up.

There are things you can don on the machine to make it more difficult for a theif such as firmware password, or create a guest account, and when someone logs in to that, it will take a picture with isight and locate them with GPS. However once someone has access to your machine there's not much you can do.

3. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

I did have a user password on my macbook. So will what you said help me out?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

An account password offers some protection, but an operating system that does not respect Unix file permissions like Windows will be able to circumvent it and give access to your files. Your system is gone, and any data on it is potentially available if the thief wants it. Data theft is rare though, so the most likely scenario is that the thief has either reformatted your computer, or most likely already sold it or in the process of doing so. Keep and eye out for it on Craigslist, as many thieves are dumb enough to sell stolen equipment in the area from which they stole it.

For your new purchase, I'd recommend either a 2.4GHz 13" or a 2.4GHz 15", depending on your budget. Refurbs aren't as tempting for students as they are for "gen pop" since you're already saving money, but if the few dollars difference between a refurb and the educational price is going to make or break it, go for a refurb.