MBP suggestion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexxn, Apr 19, 2011.

1. alexxn macrumors regular

So I think it's time to upgrade from my early 2008 15" MBP and I'm considering the following:

Either the base 13" or the base 15". Considering the large price difference I need to justify what I'm buying - I mainly do alot of email and internet PLUS some pretty heavy Photoshop. The portablity of the 13" seems very attractive to me (I do photography) but the screen size concerns me as well as the shared video memory.

What to do ??

2. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You won't have a problem specs-wise using the 13" for your uses, the main issue would be screen size. The best bet would probably be 13" + monitor, and you'd still come in under the 15"'s price tag, especially if you have a Microcenter near you.

3. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately no Microcenter even close to me, however I do work for a School District so I get a nice $100 Education discount ;)

I suppose I could look at an external monitor....

4. Cole JM macrumors regular

I don't know how serious you photography is but if it is as heavy as mine, you would be better off getting the 15 for specs, screen size, video card and processor. Even if you only use iPhoto.

5. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty serious - it's a second income for me - I actually do alot with Layers, Masks, etc

The other thing I was looking at was having software that allows me to hook up my camera "live" to the laptop while I am shooting.

The last thing I want to do is paint myself into a corner by purchasing something that won't be enough for what I need