MBP suggestions required

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GouroB, Apr 8, 2012.

1. GouroB macrumors newbie

hey guys... got a few question.. new to macbooks..

1) Windows softwares like mirc, download manager .. is there any way to run them while running mac os ? like they have wine in linux.

2) I often tend to leave my laptop running ( sometime in sleep mode & sometime in hibernating mode ) .. which is prolly why my laptops slow down fairly quickly... any suggestion what shld i do with the mac ? is there a power management option there ?

3) My mac's gonna be delivered with Snow leopard pre installed, but i was wonder if i shld upgrade to Lion ... if its worth spending 20 pounds.

4) Just a silly wondering.. since ill be able to use Appstore on mac, wud i be able to use iphone softs like whatsapp, viber, skype in the MBP ?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) Yes, look into Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion, among other virtualization options.
    2) There are numerous power management settings you can adjust.
    3) Depends on what you need to use your computer for, but Snow Leopard still works fine.
    4) No. iOS apps do not work on OS X. Some of the programs (like Skype) have a desktop version.

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

Further to what Miles has said, for mIRC and your download manager, it is much better to find a Mac alternative rather than just use Windows application. Firstly because they're usually free, but also because Colloquy, for example, is a far better IRC application than pretty much anything else out there.

As for Snow Leopard vs Lion, Lion doesn't really bring much in terms of new features compared to what Mountain Lion will bring. However, I personally find that Lion's repackaging of Exposé and Spaces into Mission Control is far tidier than having all of those individually, and thus prefer it.

4. GouroB thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Power management is excellent on Mac, you won't have any trouble leaving it to sleep when you're not using it. It doesn't slow down much over time like a PC does, but the ocassional restart (usually just as a result of a software update) does it a bit of good.