MBP Super drive making a clicking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martinsaurusrex, Nov 8, 2010.

1. martinsaurusrex macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, so, I've been using this MBP since 2007, and, it's starting to fail me. I was using an external hdd on it since the internal one crashed, and, then the external one crashed. I just purchased a 250gig hdd which fits perfectly in my Macbook, but, now I have another issue that's been pressing me for some time that didn't bother me at all until now when I need to install Snow Leopard;

My Super Drive isn't reading discs at all, and, it's making this scary crackling noise. I uploaded a video on youtube of me putting 2 discs in it, 1 with content (World of Warcraft: The Frozen Throne) and the other without content (Just a blank CD).

I hope you guys can help me out.

Before I link the video, I'd like to note that I am apparently amazed by the laser seeing as how I point to it and make a note of it ._.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1CZzTld2wY

Thank you so much in advance, and, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum :x

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Sounds like you've got a bad optical drive. It's not uncommon for those components to fail as they've got a bunch of moving parts. I know this isn't the answer you'd like to hear, but you might have to spring for a replacement superdrive. Repairing superdrives is a tricky business and usually it's a lot more trouble than it's worth because of all the moving parts.

Or, if you are super tight on cash, you can buy an external optical drive and connect it via USB. They're MUCH cheaper than a replacement internal drive, but then again you'll have to have that drive handy if you need to access optical media.

Good luck.

3. martinsaurusrex thread starter macrumors newbie

Awh :(

It's not a matter of being tight on cash, I just love to fix this stuff on my own I've always been a total geek, and, I see it as a sign of defeat if I buy new hardware instead of doing it myself if that makes any sense.

Before I go to that step, do you have any idea of what could be the problem with it? I mean, I think it's got to be something with the laser, but, I'm not sure. I'm by no means a mac expert, I only use my mac for audio composition and for graphic design. I use my PC for everything else. I just really love this guy :( He was the first computer that I called my own.