MBP super-drive woes....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alorain, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Alorain macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i have one of the older mbp from the end of 2006, the 2.33ghz C2D model. Anyways, around 4-5 months ago my super-drive started acting up and now it will only read store-bought cd's. Any burned cd, or any DvD whatsoever will not be read by the computer. I put them in, they spin around for about 15 sec, the drive makes whirling sounds, then they are promptly spat out ><.

I have heard about this issue, caused by the 2.1 super-drive update of last year, but i was under the impression that this was only an issue with the Mashita UJ-857 drives.

My computer's drive model number is:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA:

Firmware Revision: AE38
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: No

=(. Anyone know how to resolve this really irritating issue? I don't want to buy a replacement, my computer is out of warranty by 3 months! ><. Apple really let the ball slide with this one, tons of ppl are having similar issues.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well FWIW, my iMac had the drive replaced because of that type of problem and it wasn't because of any updates, firmware or the like. It was just the drive going bad (two days old at that time) as it wouldn't even read the restore disc. I would more lean towards the idea that your drive is going bad but how does it do when burning a cd/dvd? If it won't even do this or your getting bad burns using different media types, then it's the drive and the cost is around $380-425 for the drive and to have Apple do the work. That was the cost of my repair but I had AppleCare and again my iMac was only two days old at that time :cool:
    I would also try the diagnostic/maintenance disc and see if it tells you anything (which it doesn't always work but it's worth a shot).
    Good luck…