MBP Superdrive and black Memorex CD-Rs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lazymej, Dec 6, 2007.

1. lazymej macrumors newbie

Ever since I got my Macbook Pro, it has not been able to read the black Memorex CD-Rs. Now this is just bugging me, because I have a whole 50-pack spindle of these things. It takes the CD-R in, makes the weird noises that it makes for 20 odd seconds and then pushes it back out. I've googled about this issue and it seems to happen to quite a few people. However, I tried the CD-Rs in my sister's combo drive on her macbook.

This is the drive I have: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N
    Anyone else have this problem or know a fix for it? I read on some forums about a PRAM reset, but I have not idea what that is. Thanks in advance.

2. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I've had problems reading/writing black CDs on my MacBook and a variety of other PC laptops. I don't have a solution, except just not using them. sorry, not very helpful. :(

3. lazymej thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anyway. I've been meaning to contact Apple about this.

4. driftnut56 macrumors newbie

something about the black disks on all computers and not only macs make them very difficult to read and write to, it's just the way they are.

5. maxwwc69 macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem. However, my Mac won't read about half of my black OR blue Memorex CD's. It's very frustrating because some of them, it will read just fine. I've tried the CDs on my friends Mac Book Pro, and she doesn't have a problem. I'm busy searching online for any solution, but no luck so far. Most people are saying to count my losses and stick to plain, gray CDs.