Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London
Mornin'

I've got a Rev. A. 15-inch MBP and I've noticed recently that the SD is no longer able to read/write media. I've tried everything, DVD, CD, blank, commercial, different speeds. The SD tries to read the media but then just spits it out. I did have some success when trying to rip a Stereophonics album - disc one worked fine but disc two had problems. It worked eventually but only after inserting and ejecting ;) many times.

Thing is I got a funny feeling this problem materialised after the Leopard 10.5.6 update. The SD has been working fine up until a month or so ago. The SD is a Matshita (sp?) UJ-857 with HAEA firmware. I thought about trying to reflash the firmware but I can't find one that works with Leopard and I can't install Tiger on an external HD because the SD won't read the Tiger DVD.

Just for the record the SD also has problems reading/writing media when booted into Vista. Although the Vista install DVD seems to work. :confused: Is there flashing firmware available for Windows that would work?

Any ideas short of replacing the drive myself with one off of Ebay as I don't have AppleCare.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
if vista and leopard gives you problems, then it's probably hardware.

ifixit is a great resource for how-to's

on the bright side, you can now look into getting a superdrive that can read blu ray (i don't know if Rev A has enough horsepower, though)

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London
if vista and leopard gives you problems, then it's probably hardware.

ifixit is a great resource for how-to's

on the bright side, you can now look into getting a superdrive that can read blu ray (i don't know if Rev A has enough horsepower, though)

Didn't think there were any BD drives in 9.5mm and slot-load form factor. I've only seen tray-load in 9.5mm height.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.