MBP Superdrive problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ophidean, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ophidean macrumors member

I purchased my MBP in June and recently have been having problems with the superdrive. Basically every time I put a DVD into the drive I have to toss a coin on whether its going to play or not...Is this something I should take to a genius? Its very frustrating...Some of the DVDs are brand new and it just spits them out. The ones it decides to play it takes forever to load.

2. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Yes, take it to a Genius.

Otherwise, it could just be some dirt in the drive, but who knows? Maybe someone else in these forums :)

3. ophidean thread starter macrumors member

Its strange, it plays all CDs, blank CD-Rs, DVD-Rs etc etc...just DVDs it hates. Almost 50/50...spins 3 times then spits them out.

Are there any troubleshoots?

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

More likely a hardware issue than software.. DVD-R are single layer while movie DVDs are dual layer, and the laser has to focus differently to hit that second layer..

Could be anything from dirt as mentioned to the mechanical parts that move and focus the laser. Take it in :)

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Bad news:

definite hardware issue, and one that gets worse over time. My mbp was doing the EXACT same thing: spinning up three times and then spitting it out. It started off doing it 50/50, but within 6 months wasn't playing any optical media at all.

Good news:

I contacted applecare, they told me to take it into a store, and when i did this, they swapped my superdrive for a new one within an hour. Shouldn't be any different for you

Fantastic service!:)

6. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Same here. I took my MBP to the Genius Bar (had to drive an hour to get there :mad: ), they took a look at it, and swapped out the disk drive. The whole process took about a half hour. Definitely plan on extending my Warranty, the cost of the drive would have been more than the warranty itself.

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

thats one of the things that struck me about the replacement! After just one issue, it becomes obvious how valuable applecare really is

8. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

my superdrive did the same thing and finally died, it stopped reading everything thrown at it. I took it in and unfortunately they had to order the part and it took about 10 days to get it back to me.

9. ophidean thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advise everyone. Looks like I'll have to make the 40 minute drive to King of Prussia, PA (nearest Apple store). I figured it was a hardware issue.

10. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Yeah, but the cost seems artificially inflated a bit...$300 for a slot-loading drive? Come on!

11. ophidean thread starter macrumors member

I made an appointment with a genius tomorrow...hoping it doesn't take long.