MBP Superdrive problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yode, Jul 27, 2008.

1. yode macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    My superdrive on my MBP has been sort of failing on me as of late. I tried playing a DVD which for the first few times wouldn't read and the superdrive spit it back out, but on like the 4th try it actually read it. I am trying to install leopard right now using a dvd and it worked like the first time I tried it, but when it reboot to install it could not read it and spit it back out in the bootup process. Since then the superdrive has been unable to read it. Do you guys think this is an issue with the superdrive itself? Or could it be the lens needing cleaning? Btw, my MBP is just over a year old, so it is out of warranty. Thanks!

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, would you know when taking the superdrive out, is it easy to open up the superdrive itself to clean the lens with a q-tip?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i wouldn't...

use this

5. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Chances are that you will be replacing that drive mate. I have had problems with mine too.

6. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

From Apple Store:
    Are you sure that this SuperDrive will be work with Mac other than MBA?

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

does that work well?

8. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to give a follow up. I bought the Fellowes CD/DVD Lens cleaner, and to my surprise it worked! So now my superdrive reads my dvds without spitting them out! So yea, the lens cleaners DO work.

9. Molopo macrumors regular

MBA's superdrive does NOT work with other laptops/computers. The MBA has a special USB port which provides more power (something like 500 vs the regular 400) that allows the external superdrive to work. There are mods out that will let you use the MBA superdrive on other computers, but it's not worth the trouble. Use a regular external CD drive.

10. ggm1960 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro 2Ghz core duo optical drive has also quit working with the same symptoms, ie; the drive takes the disc, seems to spin for a moment and then spits the disc out.
    It does the same thing with a cleaner disc so that ain't gonna work.

What's the low cost solution for replacing this drive? Is there even a diagnostic test program to verify the problem?

Thanks for any feedback.

11. ggm1960 macrumors newbie

After having the MBP shut off for a while the drive began to work again. Seems strange, if it was an overheating issue the MBP had not been on that long the first time.

Anyway I was able to finish installing the program I'd been trying to put on and am putting on a second.

I guess it's a wait and see issue now....