MBP Superdrive really this slow? Or software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ag227, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ag227 macrumors regular

I have searched and found some previous threads about this but they all seem older and im just so surprised i had to ask..

Im trying to rip some dvds using fairmount to my 13" MacBook Pro that is less than a week old.

The ripping process with fairmount is painfully slow, why is this? It has 2 GB left to copy on the current dvd and 12 minutes to go, which in my head works out at about 3mb/s? The drive itself is hardly making a noise in a quiet room, like its not reading as fast as it could.

Is this just the nature of these drives? slow and quiet?

My old £370 dell used to rip a dvd in about 15 minutes completely.

So is my drive normal (rubbish) or is there likely something making it slow? I cant find any way to change the speed of the drive in OS X. Or is it the software im using?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried different software, RipIt for example?

3. ag227 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, tried mactheripper and it seemed just as slow, so then tried ripit like you suggested and it does seem abit faster. I can hear the dvd drive now too!

Is ripit the recommened/best app out there? I only used fairmount as that is what is suggested in the AppleTV rip guide thing.

Thanks

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Personally, I use handbrake. I know, I know, everyone uses handbrake. But it's actually really not a bad program. So yeah, :) haha

5. ag227 thread starter macrumors regular

Handbreak is mostly for converting, i know you can rip/convert in one go but i like to rip lots in one go and then use handbreak another time and leave it going.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What I've tried, RipIt is the best. It's not free but you can do 10 rips for free so worth trying and investing if it works