mbp superdrive spinning sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snitchmarco, Nov 2, 2007.

1. snitchmarco macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!

The superdrive in my 2,33 ghz c2d mbp makes extremely loud an ugly spinning noises since the beginning, especially when i feed it with audio cds (originals).
    Is this normal????
    Thx in advance, greetings!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty normal. Does it ever have trouble reading or burning discs?

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

4. snitchmarco thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the replies!

yes, actually it often has problems reading cds and dvds...
    preferably with older ones which were burned on a windoze pc, but occasionally even originals and fresh burned ones...
    one thing i noticed theses discs often will load in my gf´s macbook...
    time for apple care? hmm..

5. snitchmarco thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, forgot to say,
    the sound samples from apple saound harmless compared to my noise :( these i would consider normal, the sound my drive makes sounds more like a buzzsaw ore something...

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I just got a MBP and was surprised by the volume of the superdrive compared to the drive in my cheapo Averatec laptop. My daughter, seeing the MBP for the first time today was oohing and aahing until I put a disc in and she asked if my computer was broken. After hearing the samples on the Apple site (thanks for the link, Calboy), it's sadly reassuring to know my drive isn't completely outta whack.

What is it with Apple and loud drives? The drive on the G5 tower I use at work kthunkas in and out--rather unstylishly compared to pretty much any PC desktop I've used. Are the new MacPros better?

So sleek for so far and the little things like the drive make themselves so noticeable.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Aww shucks :eek:

I think the Superdrive makes noise because it's thin. If you compare it to other drives, you'll see that it's quite sleek and doesn't have much space to work with. Whenever you sacrifice volume, you will notice a downgrade in some other aspect. Not to mention the fact that it draws the disk in for you, which is absent on most PC drives.