MBP Superdrive start up noise CAME BACK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RipcordAFF, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RipcordAFF macrumors member

Hey guys,

After seeing another thread it reminded me of a similar problem. If you'll recall, the unibody MBs got an update that stopped the superdrive from doing the normal start up "check-to-see-if-there-is-a-disc" noise at start up. I got that update (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3744) when it came out in December and voila! my noise at start up was gone.

Fast forward to last week when I partitioned by HDD with windows 7 through Boot camp. Now, every time when I start the computer (even when i don't go through a boot selector, just starting OS X by default) I get that superdrive check noise at start up. It doesnt bother me all THAT much, but Im curious as to why that might have returned.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. eldudorinio macrumors member

eldudorinio

I think it's normal to get that sound on start-up.

The update you are talking about removed the Disk Drive sound when the Macbook wakes from sleep. The sound still exists on Restarts and when you are turning the Macbook on.

Not 100% sure, but I think that's how it is.

3. RipcordAFF thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmm that MIGHT be what i remember...i restart my computer so infrequently that I am not sure. Anyone with a nonpartitoned uMBP with that update installed want to double check for me?

4. eldudorinio macrumors member

eldudorinio

I just Restarted my Macbook (late 2008) and there was a Superdrive sound.

When it wakes from sleep there is no sound at all from the Superdrive. :)

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It removed the sound on sleep but I'm also pretty sure the release note for the firmware update stated that it would be removed on startup as well unless it said/referring to the "startup sound". Regardless, don't really mind the sound, don't even notice it anymore.