MBP support booting off EXPRESSCARD drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TK2K, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My guess would be: probably not. I think Macs only support booting via FireWire or USB. Plus, the system requirements say you need Windows, so most likely Mac OS X doesn't even have the correct drivers for the device.

3. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

no i am 99% sure it supports the drive, i've seen it done before, its just a SSD drive through a pci-e, no funny connections, the question is if the EFI can see it as a bootable drive...

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm i think that it would be possible to boot it off that. i have nothing to back it up but i just think that it might...

5. BrittQ macrumors regular

I don't think the drivers are loaded until after the OS is.

6. Xexr macrumors newbie

This would be pretty excellent if possible? You'd get some damn fast boot times.

Would you PM me or even just reply if this topic if you find out it is possible? Would be great to buy a mac now and still have ssd in it!

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

A few things about the drive.

1) It's an expresscard slot drive, but it operates off of the much slower USB2.0 Spec. (Not the PCIe spec).

2) The write times are horrible on that model (like 2-3 MB/s). Loading the OS on there would be a pain. Read times are on par with other USB transfers.

Read some of the reviews

Also, as far as a system drive, would 16GB really be enough? I know that certain files must be present on the system drive, and I'm just not so sure 16GB is going to do much.

8. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

damn... if it was faster write times.... 16GB is fine. All i would put on it is core OS files, imovie, aperture, everything like that would reside on the internal hard drive.

Thats really a bummer, my CF card has 40MBps read/write so I assumed this would be fastser...

NEXT GEN OF THIS LOOKS PROMISING:
    http://www.hsc-us.com/Consumer2/expresscards/exp34fd_spec.html