MBP sure has some slippery feet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anuba, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I just bought a MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz (not my first Mac, but my first Mac laptop) and I'm happy with everything about it, except... what the hell is up with the feet? Aren't laptops supposed to have rubber feet with some measure of friction? These things seem more optimized for gliding than staying in place. The Mighty Mouse has more friction than the MBP's feet. Funny how they added the MagSafe connector to prevent the laptops from crashing to the floor, then they put EZ-glide feet on them to make sure they fly off the table like a rocket.

Anyway -- the problem is, I'm using Logitech's Comfort Lapdesk...

[​IMG]

...which I settled for after trying out half a dozen other products. I love it, and it works great with my PC laptops. But it has a glossy surface, so the MBP slides right off it like a skier on an icy slope.

Any suggestions for remedies or other stands? I looked at Rain Design's iLap (I'm already using their mStand on my desk, and it's great), but it's just so goddamn ugly. Looks like some contraption my dad built in the garage with spare parts from a lawnmower.

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Can you separate the flat top surface from the lower surface???

You could always scuff off the gloss from the top surface, but to do it right and not have it looked like you dragged it across the street would involve Wet/Dry Sandpaper and WATER.

You may not want to get that cushioned part wet!!!!!!

I've used 1000 and higher grits to buff off the sheen on surface with flowing water and a fairly large sanding block.

Another idea would be to get a piece of that shelf-liner material that looks like mesh? It would put some 'grip' between the laptop and that shiny as glass surface!!! ;)

I'm cheap, made my own 'laptop desk' out of a piece of plywood out in the garage! :lol:

3. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

LOL! I'm not going at it with sandpaper, but I just had an idea... the solution to every problem: Gaffer tape. If I stick some of that tape on the surface the Mac probably won't slide off.

I also found these, RadTech Pawz...

[​IMG]

But I think they were designed for the previous generation. The new MBPs have the feet located exactly where the Pawz are in the picture.

Oh well... gonna try out some of that good old duct tape now.

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah the sandpaper trick isn't easy...I'd do it, but then again I am pretty good at doing stuff like that.

The tape idea is good as well!!!

Good luck with it.

By the way I had a G5 iMac that had slippery feet, it was on a slippery desk .... I bumped it and it fell to the floor!:eek:

It actually survived that fall and served me well for another year before I sold it! ;)

5. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

And what exactly is stopping you from locating them just beside the stock feet? How are they going to redesign this product for the current generation? :confused::confused::confused:

6. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

It might work, but the feet on the new generation are much closer to the middle due to the tapered design, so the extra feet would have to be really close to the middle.

7. ndstrenge macrumors regular

Just go to the hardware store and buy some rubber feet to stick to your dock. less than 5 bucks and 20 minutes.

that's what I use, anyway.

Don't stick them to your computer.