MBP Swapping HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. scan macrumors 6502

I have my HDD backed up on Time Machine and I want to swap my hdd. I just want to double check everything will be okay after I swapped out the old drive with a new one I can load everything back from Time Machine.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Run Time Machine again to make sure, swap out your drive, boot up to your Leopard DVD, format new drive with Disk Utility (make sure you change partition scheme GUID, and then format to Mac OS X Extended (hfs+), reinstall the OS from the disk onto new drive, then when it asks if you want to restore from a previous system chose Time Machine backup, plug in that backup, and let it fly.

If the TM backup fails for whatever reason, you'll still have the original drive that was in your MBP. You can buy a $20 2.5" SATA enclosure for it online, and use that to restore from if for some reason you have to.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you can do this but for me the easiest way is to use migration assist. clone the new from your old one before you put it in. that way you dont have to worry about time machine working. the only thing is that you have to have an enclosure in order to clone it but they're pretty cheap.

4. scan thread starter macrumors 6502