MBP Switched On By Itself.... Did I Catch a Virus/Trojan?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skyrider007, Nov 18, 2007.

1. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

It is 5 minutes past midnight here in the UK and I was awoke by my MBP which turned itself on at exactly midnight.

My MBP is connected to the internet via LAN and I have checked under the energy setting's schedule that there is no automatic turn-on set-up.

Is somebody trying to hack into my computer and/or I caught a virus or something?

Please help, I am getting very worried now.

Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You do not have a virus, there are no viruses that can install themselves on the Mac OS...maybe there was a bluetooth awakening etc.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Was it totally off.

You didn't get a virus.

Chances are it is a glitch with the auto-on preferences.

4. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

It couldn't be a bluetooth awakening because my laptop was completely shutdown. I'm running on Leopard btw, heard there's a hole in the firewall or something...

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I doubt it is a virus since there are none. Unless you installed anything questionable and gave it your admin password it wouldn't have control over your power management settings. I would try toggling the auto startup settings in the energy saver control panel first off.

However, it is a possibility that there is an app that has a startup schedule. Have you installed anything that has the option for a schedule (like backup software, tv recording software, virus scanning software)?

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Okay I looked some more and this looks like a bug or something with 10.5.

Can you copy the contents of your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.Apple.AutoWake.plist file here?

Edit: Better yet just trash it. Also trash the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist in the same folder and the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist in the folder before it (/Library/Preferences) and zap the pram.

Reference thread

7. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Here's something from the AutoWake thing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>WARNING</key>
    <string>Do not edit this file by hand. It must remain in sorted-by-date order.</string>
    <key>restart</key>
    <array/>
    <key>shutdown</key>
    <array/>
    <key>wakepoweron</key>
    <array/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

I'll try deleting the files you said above. Thank you very much.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

My iMac used to wake up from the Front Row remote - then like a week later, it stopped.

It wasn't in "sleep" mode - it was off - I suspect a driver issue that got fixed with an update. (or maybe it wasn't actually powering down)

Never really bothered me very much so I didn't delve into it.

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Hm, interesting idea. Except it would be weird to get a rogue IR signal at exactly midnight every time. Too much of a coincidence. Probably just something screwy with the autowake feature after the upgrade.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm sure you're going to think I'm crazy, but I'm talking anyhow.

I have probably seen an even stranger IR response from outside influence.

I built an IR relay back in tech school as did my one of my friends. (to switch lights or appliances on and off via remote) His engineering ability far eclipsed my own. Anyhow, my IR never worked, right. His did. But on random occasions - "something" (NOT in this house) would randomly activate it. We thought the power supply was spiking, or maybe his amp had noise or a bad detector. So a new power supply later, and LOTS of copper shielding down the road - it would STILL happen. (like once a month, if that)

I've got it pinned down to two things. It seemed to only happen during the day. So it was either being triggered by solar activity / CMEs or lightning. I have seen a bolt trip it on before - lightning gives you a nice full-spectrum flash. The CME bit - while a bit out there, seems to sit in that it happened mainly during daylight hours - and it happened a LOT more frequently a few years ago then it did now.

I'll know for sure in a few more years. ;)

So yeah, don't rule out CMEs... Okay, maybe you can - but only for a couple more years. :D

Now, who thinks I'm crazy? Be honest.

12. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Me, oh and my alien friend here too.

It was just swamp gasses.

Anyway, I'm not too hopeful for the delete various files and zap the pram route to actually fix this problem. It doesn't work for everyone, apparently. It is very odd.

13. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have had exactly the same problems with my MacPro since upgrading to Leopard. I hoped 10.5.1 would fix it but no joy.

I will try deleting the .plist files tonight and see if it makes any difference.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Ah, it's good to see Coronal Mass Ejections are messing with someone else's appliances aside from mine. Yours must be super sensitive, because we're at solar minimum right now. :D

Sorry, I'm retarded.

15. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Pfewwwww..... I'm glad I'm not the only one! :p