MBP system memory ramps up on start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khay, May 15, 2013.

1. khay macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a MBP OS X 10.8.3. Upon start up the system memory ramps all the way up to 7.99 GB out of the 8 GB loaded on my system. The only program I have put on my system is Protools 10, could possibly be the issue. It was giving issues so I uninstalled PT 10 and re-installed it, following instructions found at avid.com. I upgraded my system when an upgrade was available and it has caused my system to bug out. Not sure what to do, any help would greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Start Activity Monitor then show all processes and sort by memory usage. That will show you which app is chewing up your memory. You might also sort by CPU usage as the app is likely consuming excess CPU cycles also.

3. khay thread starter macrumors newbie

Its telling me core audio is about 98% cpu usage. no other apps are open other than safari and activity monitor.

4. khay thread starter macrumors newbie

This a shot 5 min after my computer is started. I have only had this MBP for 2 months and only loaded one heavy application, Protools. All files are stored on an external hard drive. No other apps on this computer

Attached Files:

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

That's whack it page outs 5 GB's in 5 minutes with 8gb's RAM.

What browser are you using? What plug ins do you have installed?

After doing some reading it seems most people were solving this problem by doing as OS reinstall. Is that something you could do?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I found this site that shows how to fix the core audio CPU issue. Also, this post in the Apple support forums. Looks like a common problem.

Try the suggestions in those posts and see if it helps.

7. khay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you weaselboy for the very informative link. An audio folder had been deleted and it was causing coreaudio to go crazy. All I had to do was make a new folder with terminal following the steps in the link you provided. All is back to normal. Big thanks!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad it worked out. :)