Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
My brother have a MPB (mid 2012) and it was running fine with Mavericks. Then he updated to Yosemite. It was very, very slow. Also when I closed the lid on it, without anything running, it wouldn't go to sleep and the fans would run very fast and it would become very hot.

I have a MBP (early 2011) and it was a lot quicker (I did a clean install on that one). So we decided to do a clean install on the mid 2012 thinking that something would have gone wrong in the update process. But even after the clean install, without have installed anything on it, it was very, very slow. Got the beachball like every time when doing the most simple tasks. Now we decided to do a clean install once more. I started the installation, and it said it would take like 15 minutes. Now more than 4 hours later, it says it's gonna take 9 minutes more. When doing the clean install on my early 2011, it only took like 30 minutes or so. So I'm thinking it has to be something with the hardware?

Did the hardware test on the mid 2012, but it said everything was fine. So don't really know what the problem could be?

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
I can only think of a hard drive taking it's last breath, if the hardware wasn't faulty a clean installation should have done it. Why not try to revert back to Mavericks and see if the problem persists, it's a painful process but it will isolate the issue and help you quickly find out if it's software or hardware related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.