MBP takes forever to shut down since installation of leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimonBook, Jan 10, 2008.

1. SimonBook macrumors member

SimonBook

since i installed leopard, my MBP takes forever to shut down...

anybody have the same problem? is there anything i can do about that?

2. one1 macrumors 65816

You seem to have a conflict in the software somewhere that is hanging it up. Do you have any third party apps installed?

3. Spliff macrumors regular

I have the same problem, and the only software I am running is Azureus, Transmission and Firefox. Even when I don't boot up the torrent programs, it still takes forever to shut down. I always get that :apple: "thinking" symbol on the near-center of my screen and it takes at least 2-3 minutes to fully shut down. Weird...

4. SimonBook thread starter macrumors member

SimonBook

i actually just solved the problem by "repairing disk permissions" of macintosh hd in disk utility. now it shuts down fine.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I just can't believe you shut it down. :D

Any particular reason why? I find sleeping to be much more convenient.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's the first thought that came into my head too! :D

Why shut it down? The time I save by letting it sleep is just gravy. :)

7. SimonBook thread starter macrumors member

SimonBook

actually, i also never shut down. but restarting just takes forever...

8. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I don't understand. Shutting down is really quick; much quicker than on Windows. Ditto for starting up. Do you lot have lots of programs starting up when you login? How long does it take you lot to start up your computers and be fully connected to the internet? Mine takes 28 seconds - is that too long? Especially if you're gonna be away from your computer for hours at a time.

Unless I'm gonna be using my computer again in less than 15 minutes, surely shutting down is the most efficient method? Your battery life is slowing being used up while sleeping and I hate the idea of wasting electricity.

But maybe that's just me ... :D

OK, I suppose sleep doesn't use that much power up. But on a related note something that DOES really annoy me is when people leave there monitors on with the screensaver, even when they know they're gonna be away from the office for hours at a time. Why don't they just turn off the monitors?

It only takes a sec and no one can deny the amount of electricity being wasted there. At least set the monitor to go to standby automatically. I can't believe the number of offices where monitors are left on ALL the time.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. :)

(End rant.)

9. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I also occasionally have this issue. I usually run a dual monitor set up with a LG 22" LCD. It seems to be solved by shutting down the LG monitor.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

A TRICKLE of battery power is required to sleep a computer—so little as to be trivial for all but the LONGEST periods of disuse.

Then again, I leave my computer ON all the time, because I hate being disconnected from online services. Also because I'm usually torrenting something. XD

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes! :p Seriously, after waiting maybe a second or two for it to wake up from sleep, 30-60 seconds feels like an eternity. I couldn't/won't do that if I can help it.
    Well sleep barely uses any electricity at all, and if you really want to save some electricity, you'd unplug your AC adapter every time, since completing a circuit also uses a small amount of electricity (quite a bit when you tally it up for a year's worth).
    I agree with your rant. That is indeed a complete waste of power. If you aren't going to be using your computer for anything, you have no need to keep it "on." Sleep is the best bet for times like that.

12. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Sleeping your mac could also reduce wear and tear on your drive from booting. With a MBP you dont have to worry about the battery running out while sleeping. Simply plug in your PSU and hit the power key - it'll take maybe 5 seconds to load up, but that's still preferable from cold booting!

13. Spliff macrumors regular

I actually never shut down either, but I do need to restart so I can bootcamp into Windoze to play games. I therefore shut down OSX maybe once every couple days (currently as I have an enticing game to play) and it seems to take forever for some reason.

I'll give that repair disk permission thing that OP mentioned a try.

14. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

i shut down every few days. i dont like puttin it in sleep. sometimes when open it up after sleeping, everything becomes laggy. maybe thats a glitch or something but i had some sort of problem waking it up from sleep in both tiger and leopard.

15. jameskohn macrumors 6502

Shut down

A while back, while on a tech support call with Apple, I got into a discussion about sleep vs. shutdown for my desktop each night. The tech didn't think it was a real big deal either way, but suggested shutting down. I have done so ever since.

I experienced the "hanging shutdown" problem after Leopard install too. Instead of verifying the shutdown, I found that if I just left the dialog box open and let it countdown it eventually did shut down. If I did verify the shutdown by clicking the blue button in the shutdown dialog box, the computer would hang and I would have the spinning gear icon forever.

A few times it seemed that if I ejected and turned off the external (Time Machine) hard drive, I could verify the shut down by clicking the blue button in the shutdown dialog box and it would work. As it turned out, that was only intermittent and the problem persisted most of the time.

Now here's the strange part: the other day I opened up my Mac Pro to add another 4GB RAM (for a total of 8GB). After I installed the RAM, the computer now shuts down normally, as it always had before Leopard.

There was another little glitch after Leopard install: Before Leopard, regardless of what app (or apps) I had open, I could always click on the desktop to get the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen. After Leopard install, this didn't work anymore. After adding RAM, it works again.

I also installed Leopard on my 12" G4 PowerBook, and didn't have either of these issues.

Computers...