mbp taking forever to do factory restore, help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrahm, Nov 25, 2010.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

I sold my 07 MBP and wanted to wipe it clean. I did the factory restore: restart-hit C-disk utility-erase free space-35passes. But it is taking forever. I started it yesterday around 2pm and it said 7 hrs left, this morning it now says securely erasing file and has been sitting like this for 2 hrs (status bar hasnt moved)

I need to ship it tomorrow, does it just normally take this long? the HD size is 300 GB

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah it does... the bigger the drive, the longer! I just did the same thing on a 250Gb drive and it took about 2 days! Sometimes when you weight out the pros and cons, it's often cheaper to flog the machine with a new drive.. it's more secure too!

3. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, its now been sitting in the "securely erasing file" since about 10am this morning, the status has slightly moved if at all, did it freeze? if so is there any other way to wipe the MBP clean?

4. UltraNEO*, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

More of a FYI...

Using the '35 pass-erase' is the only way (but it's only upto MOD standards).. though you can use a specially designed HDD shredder - is the only permanent way, thus rendering the drive 'destroyed':):):)

Users who are determined to obtain your private & personal data can still retreave information on the drive, even after a '35 pass-erase' by using a more advance data recovery systems.

Alternatively, if you have access to a linux box,
    maybe you can run this command a few times, some people say about 30 times..

Code:
    sudo shred -vn <iterations> <device>
    Personally I won't sell/pass on any used HDD, period.