MBP TB 13" Graphics Fault?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tommyllguns, Mar 27, 2017.

1. tommyllguns macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I've discovered an issue with my MBP TB 13" which I have a feeling may signal a hardware failure, and wondered if anyone else has seen the same thing.

I recently bought a GoPro and have been doing some 4k filming. After transferring these to my MBP, I managed to play about 5 mins of footage before a large number of pink horizontal flashing lines appeared all over the screen. Where areas of the screen were white they appeared more predominantly, but they generally covered the whole screen to the point where it almost was unusable.

10 minutes later these lines disappeared, notably when the MBP had cooled down. I have since tried playing these videos again several times and on every occasion have seen these lines appear once the machine starts to heat up. I've tried resetting the NVRAM with no improvement.

Has anyone else seen this? I've had similar issues with previous windows laptops, all of which generally meant a fried GPU. I'm amazed this has happened so early after purchase though - this is the first time I've really asked anything trying of my MBP.

Image attached. Cheers for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Haven't heard of that, not since early days when there were widespread software issues. Is your OS the latest version? Do the fans come on and run high?

3. tommyllguns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. File format is MP4. Just tried resetting the SMC with no improvement. No sound of the system fans and the laptop runs pretty hot - guess this could be the issue? OS is 10.12.3.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Are those h.264 mp4?

5. tommyllguns thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, h.264 MP4. Just tried again, MacBook gets hot and no sound of any fans. Think this must be it. Strange though, they were running OK a couple of days ago.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Sounds like it could be the new update.

You could try reverting back to 10.2 with CCC or TM and test again. If it works, that would shine the light on the new update.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If you're near an Apple Store, it might be easiest just to take it in with the photos of the problem. If you aren't close, you could download software to tell you what the internal temperatures are to see how hot it's getting, which might help locate the cause. If your fans aren't coming on, your GPU is either acting up at a relatively low temperature (even it it feels hot), or they aren't coming on when they should, which as you say would be a problem in itself.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2017 ---
    10.2.3 has been out for a while, though. 10.2.4 is the new one. Could well be software, though.