mbp Tb 2016 Keyboard seems to be failing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ihatetoregister, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

The right arrow key started to fail about a week ago, and now the command key as well.

It's like they're "lower" and don't give feedback, if that makes sense.
    As a result, it either fails entirely (nothing happens when pressed) or feels "weird". It get get unstuck after a while, if I press the key hard several times. Also, it doesn't always happen. I thought it could be due to heating issue but the machine doesn't get that hot ? At least compared to previous mac.

Hmmf, one more thing to add to the long list of disappointments with this machine.

2. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I had that on my Space key. Switched and this new one is fine, but the previous one was stuck.

3. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

There are no ways to un-stuck them / repair them somehow ? How long did you stay without a machine (or did you get a replacement right away ? That's the first time I'm returning an actual machine. )

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Got a replacement straight away but I was still on my return window. I believe there is a way to unstuck them but you would need to go to the Apple Store for that.

5. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Thank for the info.
    No Apple store in Norway so I'll call them at the end of the week. It's a pretty custom one (maxed out 13" with non Norwegian keyboard) so I guess this will take time.

6. mahcus36 macrumors regular

this is the case with my "p" key on my tbMBP too. often time, it won't register a press, or if it does, it feels, like you said, "weird". I have to press down on it a couple of times before it seems to fall into place or something, and then it works fine for awhile, before it gets stuck again. I think I'm gonna have to get it either repaired or replaced.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

A number of posts were removed from this thread that amounted to nothing more than bickering. Keep it cordial moving forward please.

8. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

yes, this is exactly what's happening ! I wonder if there's an easy fix, or if it's heat-related, if it will eventually "settle".
    I'll update once I hear from the customer service.

9. mahcus36 macrumors regular

did you find a solution or receive an update from customer service?

10. cubalibre macrumors member

cubalibre

Just go to an official Apple reseller, Eplehuset handles warranty issues with Apple products cost free wherever they were purchased (including abroad). Just bring the receipt in case you should need it.

11. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

They will probably just exhange the bottom, like they did with my MacBook 12". Had kind of the same problem with first butterfly keyboard. Non responsive or keys getting stuck. Took around ten days.

12. ihatetoregister thread starter macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Got super sick with a sore throat so not yet :-(

Nice ! It's really not far from where I work, this is great news. Thank you very much.

10 days :-/ an't really do that. Did you get a replacement machine ? I guess I could wait until I take vacations otherwise.

13. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

I have multiple machines, so didn't hurt me

14. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

I have notice that the enter key is wierd. Especially when the laptop get warmer, the enter key becomes less clicky and feels that the key travel is much shorter. I have had it a month and now seing this issue. It feels like i have to press it harder or exactly the middle of the key - the upper part, conner, feels "soft" and almost no travel when pressing, feels like it doesnt sometimes recognice it when pressing. The warmer the area, the worse it feels.

15. erice123 macrumors newbie

So, after reading the comments here I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or consoled to see lots of people having similar issues with their MBP keyboard - what worries me most is my faulty 'k' and 'up cursor' keys only fail intermittently! either they do not activate or feel different to all the rest of the keys. I have an appointment booked with apple, or rather an authorised repairer, this Friday and fear the fault won't occur consistently enough for them to agree to investigate further. What's the process for testing? I also use my laptop for work (business owner) and can't really be without... FYI I bought the 2016 MBP 15" with 455 graphics so not cheap

Not sure if this is where to post this comment - I'm just looking for any experience with intermittent issues.

16. legioxi macrumors 6502a

This has happened to me on my 12" rMB many times. The genius bar told me it is from stuff getting under the keys. They took it in the back and pulled the key up and cleaned it to fix.

Has happened several times since that appointment to different keys, I just play with the key until it goes away. Unfortunately I have no real solution, just a suggestion that it may be stuff getting trapped under the key (not that they always give accurate causes for problems).

17. erice123 macrumors newbie

Update (25/04/2017), it looks like it was something under the key. What I'm struggling to understand is I'm meticulous (as I'm sure we all are when spending £2700) with keeping my laptop clean; not sure how something has got under the key? Now the second time I've had an issue - I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a reoccurring frustration.