MBP TB 2017 Fan noise/Clicking sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macdkus, Jun 12, 2017.

1. macdkus, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

macdkus macrumors newbie

I just received my new custom MBP TB 2017 (upgraded to 16GB) but it is making almost constant noise emanating from the upper right side of the laptop. Apple Phone Support was not much help except to schedule a store appointment.

Here is a video of the issue:

(FYI: I have NOTHING but Safari running, not even iCloud syncing, it's a fresh install, with all updates installed, PRAM Reset, Fan Reset etc etc to no avail)

Anyone else have this issue?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

First issue. Probably just a loose fan, manufacturing defects do exist sadly. Best case they can fix it in store, worst case you'll have to have it replaced.

Second issue is simpler...

jZhWwRc.jpg

3. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Clearly a hardware defect, probably with the fan.

I wouldn't want a repair on a brand new unit.

In terms of getting a replacement, your options are:
    1. Swap in-store. Some stores stock a model with the i7, 16GB of RAM, and a 512GB SSD. If your model differs from that, you can pay the difference to get an instant replacement, or if you ask nicely they might even upgrade it for free. If your model is better than that, you can refund it in-store and buy that model if you're happy to sacrifice the spec, otherwise:
    2. Return and buy again. The store or AppleCare may even be able to let you keep your unit while waiting for the correct specification model to arrive.

4. azpekt macrumors regular

Loose fan, I have similar one with my rmbp 2015, if it placed non-horizontally