MBP TBar Base model or Fully souped up Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KhunJay, Oct 16, 2017.

1. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

The price is almost the same....question is, which would be a smarter buy and be relevant for longer, as piece of technology?

I must confess I do not do any heavy graphics work, or visual processing ....juts the usual crap....internet, media content.

Had my mind made up on fully maxed out Macbook (i7, 256GB ssd, 16GB ram)...but then saw the price of the Macbook Pro TBar base model and noticed they were almost the same price....so I might consider the MBP if it's a technically superior machine.

The port situation of the macbook bugs me...with MBP at least they have them on both sides.

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

The MacBook Pro is a technically superior machine. IMO the retina MacBook is a better value (but this refers to the base model - IMO the performance improvements you get with CPU and RAM updates make it a poorer value because you pay a lot for quite a little.)

The MacBook works better for me than the 13-inch MacBook Pro, but it's not my only Mac and I'm not that concerned with how long it lasts. If maximum longevity is a must (as opposed to a smaller investment and upgrading sooner), the likely longer technical relevancy of the touchbar MBP stands out.

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

You might want to consider the non-touch bar model. Has much better battery life and most of the advantages of the higher end model.

4. sublunar macrumors 6502a

Base models are usually better value in the long run but I'll second zed by suggesting you consider the non-touch bar model too - the upper non-touch bar model in there should be compared to the lower touch-bar model.

The big plus is a pair of genuine Thunderbolt 3 ports rather than a single USB-C.

5. KhunJay, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

KhunJay thread starter macrumors 6502

KhunJay

I have been reading about a fair few complaints on here about the non-TB model.....many say it has just one fan as opposed to two in the TB model....so it runs hot and has greater fan noise.

I am not a frequent upgrader, so what I choose must be able to last me a long time....I still have a 2012 MBA and it is running superbly even today.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

For what you are doing with the system (and provided you arent going to run external displays), I think you will find that the touchbar fans and non-touchbar fan runs very rarely.