Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
Hello!

I have a small dilemma,

I currently own a 2009 model of Macbook Pro with a normal boring 21inch display connected to it. I'm selling it to my father and getting something newer. To my dilemma, I have two roads to go, let me paint you a picture...

I'm mostly using my system at home, sometimes bringing it to work or to Waynes etc. I like the possibility of portability. I do frequently use Photoshop and occasionally play a few games on my current.

Should I get the "future" new Macbook Pro (15/17inch) and a Thunderbolt Display to it and use it as a primary at home so I can move it around and still have the display sitting for when i'm using it as a stationary, OR

Should I get myself the "future" new 27inch iMac for stationary and get the iPad for portability? I currently have the latest gen Apple TV which I love streaming Spotify to aswell as mirror my Macbook Pro screen to it when I have guests etc. They love the setup as much as I do. I can mirror the iPad to it, aswell as play Airplay-games and listen to spotify from anywhere. Also rolling a Time Capsule as a server so i can access all my files from anywhere.

What's your take on this? I'm open to all suggestions, but I have to say i'm in love with the Macbook Pro's power and portability.

/Johan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally prefer the MBP over the iMac because of the portability and what I work on, can only be done on a laptop.

If you can live within the constraints of an iPad for those portable moments then an iMac + iPad strategy will work. I think you may get more bang for you buck with the MBP but that's just me :)

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
In my situation, I'd go with MBP + TB, just because IF I go somewhere out and I need to work there, I use Photoshop/Fireworks/Dramweaver, but now I habe Early 13" MBP and I'm looking to buy an a 27" iMac instead of display. Just I like to have two computers seating near each other.

hotgrease

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Unless you are just doing basic word processing/PDF viewing/want to watch videos on the iPad I would go with the MBP/TBD. The iPad is still very limited productivity-wise IMO.

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
I agree, the iPad is very limited, which is why i'm leaning to the MBP+TBD-combo simply because i can move it around the house and around without hassle and without running into problems with what I can and can't do on the iPad.

Could just get the MBP and the Display and get an iPad for the livingroom-fun-of-it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.