Mbp temp and fan rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thunderboltspro, Feb 9, 2010.

1. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

im running at cpu temp of 82C with my fan running around 2000 rpm with the mbp in my sig.
    Is this a normal temp to fan rpm ratio? Why is bothers me is that im use to my Mb flaring up its fans every time it got hot.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can install SMC Fan Control to manually control the speed of your fans or you install FanControl, which spins the fans up according to the current temperature. You can set the settings yourself.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That's a bit high but still what I would consider normal for a unibody MBP. The MB, assuming it's plastic, can't dissipate heat as well, and it only has one fan which has to work twice as hard.

4. thunderboltspro thread starter macrumors regular

Does the mbp have two fans? If so im only seeing one on istat pro.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The one with the 9600 should. I don't know about the one with the 9400.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The 13" and the 15" with 9400m has One

7. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

My non-unibody MBP (2.6 C2D) during daily development work in VMware Fusion and running a few other Mac apps stabilizes around 71C CPU, 76C GPU, both fans around 2000RPM. That's a bit hot for me.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

What were you doing while reaching 82 degrees C ?
    I have the same model and mine at idle sat ad about 38-40' C.

If you were under a load 82' C is not too much, but I strongly suggest to install FANCONTROL. I keep cpu's temperature of my MBP under 80' C under a load

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

If that was under full CPU load (200%) then that's fine. If it was at idle then it's bad.

The new MBPs don't run their fans like the old white MBs. My 2007 MB would wait til the CPU got really hot and then the fans would zoom up to hairdryer levels, very noisy. The MBP cooling system seems much better designed, the fans ramp up slowly and quietly.

FWIW my 13" Unibody MBP under full load runs with the CPU at about 90 C and the fans around 2000 - 2500 rpm. My old MB would have had fans at 4000 rpm or above at this temp.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

this is right , but absolutely not good in my opinion.
    Apple seems to be much more focused on keeping Macs quiet than keep them cooled.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Why is it not good? The parts can run just fine at higher temperatures--the CPU is rated for 105C. The only potential downside is *slightly* shorter life (or a higher failure rate. same thing). If you want your computer to last longer, buy a desktop not a laptop (and I don't mean the iMac or Mac Mini since they both use laptop parts).

12. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Woah - I use SMC fancontrol to keep my fans constantly running at 3500rpm's and I'm sitting at 40C right now. The highest it goes under heavy load is 70C.

Definitely get SMC Fan Control. Even if running your fans at a higher speed wears them out sooner, they take 5 seconds to replace and cost about $10. That risk is worth keeping the rest of the internals cooler longer IMO.

13. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I use Fan Control since its set and forget.

But have to agree it's a bit silly that the fans wait so long before spinning up.

14. thunderboltspro thread starter macrumors regular

It was about a 60ish% CPU load while trying to zip a 75 Gbs file down while multitabs open in firefox.
    Alrighty i feel alot better even though all have 3 years of applecare so i dont know why im worrying.

Whats the max rpm on the fans?

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

So what you're saying is your 15 MBP runs too quietly? I had the same concern and recently posted .... same with me my 15" MBP runs dead silent, quite warm but our 13" MBP runs fans non stop when under load and is still quite warm.

16. Pax macrumors 6502a

On this subject, has anyone ever experienced a CPU failure as a cause of death of a Mac? It always seems to be HDD, display, mechanicals, GPU, capacitors.

There must be guys out there pegging the CPU at 200% and leaving it 24/7 for months or years. Does their CPU ever explode?

I would expect the CPU to last decades even under full load / high temperatures. The CPU in your car's engine brain can sit at 150C for decades. Temperature in itself isn't particularly harmful.

17. thunderboltspro thread starter macrumors regular

im just a worry wart coming from a 2007 MB fan a blazing to a 2009 MBP thats pretty silent and doesn't ramp up its fan ever chance it gets.