MBP Temp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ACiB708, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Just a question. I'm running smcFan control and the temp is 68 Celcius while the fans are both running at 5000 rpm. My question is this a good temp? I'm using the CPU at 100% since I'm converting a DVD to a DivX movie. Is it too hot? or is it OK for the task? thanks all!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

90C is about my average operating temperature. That's freaking cool.

3. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Video encoding is always a very CPU intensive task. 68C is very cool for that. I'd expect around 80C.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. rc.square24 macrumors member

My MBP idles around 52*C stock, i just reapplied the thermal paste with arctic silver and now it idles around 45-6*C. But physically it feels a lot cooler than before and less temperature rises (used to go up to 70~*C or so).

But I guess this voids the warranty if youre still on one.

7. Metzgermeister macrumors member

Metzgermeister

68º during decoding to divx? that's great. At this moment my MBP is running at 56 and the only things which are running is Safari, iTunes and mail.
    When I use handbrake it easily goes to 85º, without SMCFan that is.
    When I just received my MBP (older model) I was a bit worried about the temps. Since I could barely touch the bottom. I went to the apple store and asked at the repair centre. They told the temps are just fine, even temperatures of 100º are perfectly normal. When it goes to 120º then something is not going well. I suppose they know better...

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Really? My old merom would run about that. My new penryn doing a handbrake encode holds at about 63c w/ fans at 6000. The ambient room temp is right around 67f. Guess I just got lucky with this one.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

looks good to me, my early 08 MBP is now at 46C with Safari, Mail & iTunes running, using Handbrake (running now) I normally see 79C - 81C (fans at 3.8K) or greater, the cooling system generally keeps the MBP around 80C ish with the fans getting up as high as 4K, when the machine is maxed out.

I have a iLap by rain design it makes a fair difference and is much more efficient than my other cooler which has a USB powered fan.

[​IMG]

Have seen as high as 87C, although that was deliberately trying to stress test the MBP (early 08, 2.4 Penryn, 2Gb ram, Leopard 10.5.6)
    Q-6

10. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

I happen to have the Late 2007 MacBook Pro. When I use it with Firefox, Safari and iTunes, it averages between 57-61C. When I check the GPU temp, it tend to go close to 70C+ but the heatsink temp stays between 60C-70C. The fans spin between 1998-300+ rpm. Is this normal?

Also, just how much of a temperature load takes place when I connect it to an external LCD monitor or LCD TV? I just got the iLap and it does make a difference. Also, when I connect the battery for recharge and use it, the temperature shoots up and the fan speed touch the 3000+rpm range. When I remove it, it runs cooler.

What do you think is the stable range for the GPU diode and the heatsink temperature when running?

11. petz0ldt macrumors member

I also use smc fancontrol and 68c is a good temp while u are running the machine that hard. I set my fans to 5000rpm while playing cod4 and my temps stay in the range of 65-75c. if im using it on my lap just with safari an ichat temps are around 55c and if i have it on a stand temps can be anywhere from 40-50c.

12. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

mines at 39 C now with 9400M :)