MBP Temperature and Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tongrd, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tongrd macrumors newbie

What is a good temperature for a MBP to be running at? I use my MBP for video editing and normal web browsing etc, and temperatures range from 32C to 90C:eek:

It probably averages out at 40C, is this good for the computer? I'm sure when I'm encoding videos at 80-90C that it isn't great for the computer, so should i use smcfancontrol to up the speed? Will higher fan speeds reduce fan life more than 90C temperatures damaging the computer?:confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also install Fan Control, which adjusts the fan speeds according to preset values dependent on the temperature (e.g.. 40°C = 2000 rpm, 80°C = 6000 rpm).

The CPUs in the MBP are cut out to withstand 90-100°C. Not for a long time (days) though.

But getting the CPU up to 100% takes energy which results in heat, so encoding and other CPU taxing stuff will get your MBP hot.

3. da1rren macrumors newbie

I seem to be having a problem with heat with my computer as well. It's not spinning the fans up quickly enough at 90c it was at 3000 rmp. He turned it away and did a hard shutdown because he had crashed it. They have now ordered new parts might be worth getting it checked out. He managed to blow the left speaker which i'm peeved about.

if it's under warranty take it in for them to look at if it's not use smc fan control
    fans are very cheap and easy to replace compared to the GPU.

Oh it's a macbook pro 15" 2.53ghz nvidia 9400 (mid 2009)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My MBP running on the 9600 tends to be in the 55c range with the fans running at 3k (thanks to smcFanControl).

The 9400 keeps the temps in the high 40s to low 50s with the fans at the same speed.

5. tongrd thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is tho, I'm seeing temperatures rise sometimes when I'm not even doing any intensive jobs like video encoding. Its' just a gradual rise, and not to such extreme temperatures, but I was simply using MS Word today and it rose from 39C to 55C and stayed at 55C! I find this quite strange, though fans stay at 2000 rpm and it's only word processing! :confused:What should I do with this?

(Maybe this is because of my specs? Only difference I can think of is 7200 rpm Harddisk and 3.06 Ghz Processor may cause more heat than 'normal'?)