mbp temperatures and fan control

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newmbpuser, Sep 15, 2010.

1. newmbpuser macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently bought a 13" macbook pro. I like to stream things and watch them on my tv (via hdmi) such as multiple football games on sunday, and I noticed my notebook reaching around 90 deg Celsius (istat) which seems hot. I understand this is not a critical temperature but my question is should I bother adjusting fan speeds with smc fan control when it gets this hot? Is this even close to a worrisome temperature?

I dont know what temperatures to get concerned about, and if I did adjust the fan I have no idea what to adjust them to.
    I bought a cooling pad with duel fans but it barely lowers the temp at all, so I researched other methods.

Any input is appreciated, I obviously dont know much about this subject as I have always used a windows desktop until now

Thanks!

2. newmbpuser thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so all of these forums basically say that this is perfectly normal, but lots of people insist that smcfan control is great. But what I couldnt find is if this is really necessary; 100 C is beginning to approach too hot, so should I increase the fans when above 90 to avoid problems?

Or should I just trust apple and not worry until it actually gets above 100? If it does get above 100 how high should the fans be running?

Some just said run the fans between 3000 and 4000 RPM, like its a general safe rule of thumb, and I guess I just dont know if its normal or safe on the computer

thanks!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never used SMC fan control. My MBP will occasionally run fans at 6,000rpm, but I've never had any problems. Your Mac is designed to automatically shut down if the temps get too hot, to avoid damage. Remember, the fans won't spin up every time your temp climbs high, just when they need to.