MBP Temperatures - From 1st gen. to today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moses, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Moses macrumors member

I'm running a first-gen MBP - 2.0ghz Core Duo, 15 Inch, 2GB Ram, 100GB 5400rpm HD. Purchased in March/April 2006.

It's still a fine machine, and perfect for my needs. I won't be looking to replace it until the 32nm mobile quad-core generation hits.

However, one thing that bugs me about it is how hot it gets. For example, if I watch a couple of youtube videos, say a few minutes each, it gets up to 70 degrees C, sometimes up to 78 degrees. I'm running smcFancontrol, and this is with both fans going at about 6000rpm.

I assume this is normal for a first-gen machine, which are renowned as being very hot runners.

What about today's MBPs - particularly the new unibodies. What sort of temps are you getting - say playing back video, etc. What's the maximum?

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

New ones aren't much better I'm afraid. But they seem to be quieter because the fans don't ramp up until the machine is very hot.

Temps get very close to 100c

3. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Temperatures have improved A LOT since the introduction of core 2 duo chips. The core duo chips (used in the first gen mbp) were notoriously known to run very hot. So anything after the first gen mbps will run a lot cooler than the machine you are using right now. Also, the 4th and 5th gen macbook pros run even cooler because they started using the 45nm penryn cpus.

Of course, even the recent gen mbps will run pretty hot if you are doing cpu or graphic intensive tasks but no where near as hot as the core duo macbook pros.

In case you are wondering, my mbp (2.5ghz classic mbp) is hovering at around 52-54 degrees celcius (ambient temp of 23 degree C) while watching youtube, utorrent, msn, and pages running; with teh fans at 2000rpm. So that should give you a rough idea of how much cooler the newer mbps run.

4. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well I can't give you any specific numbers but right now under OS X, using pages, safari, and itunes, I can't really feel any heat coming off the machine.

I'm on a unibody running the 9400m.

If I game using windows vista and the 9600m, it can get very warm. It never gets too hot to touch, but it gets close.