MBP Temporary replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by karkid, Sep 6, 2011.

1. karkid macrumors member

So my macbook pro is going in for repair, new HRAG Screen, new battery, new logic board, tried getting them to give me a new machine instead but they wouldn't.

Been thinking of picking up one of these for a while now i have a real reason to.

thinking either the base 11 inch or 64gb wifi + 3g iPad 2

which to pick?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would say the iPad 2 if you aren't talking about return fraud. The MBA if it's just a temporary solution.
    I think that you want a MBA from which section you put this thread in. :)

3. karkid thread starter macrumors member

no returning fraud i'll probably end up keeping it. and getting it off classifieds

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would still get the iPad 2 since you already have a laptop, especially if you don't plan on entering a lot of text on your iPad/MBA.

5. karkid thread starter macrumors member

lol what worries me is no flash

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It really hasn't been a problem for me. I've never once had a need for flash on the iPad. YMMV

7. karkid thread starter macrumors member

so here's the deals i'm getting

Base model 1 month old off craigslist mba for 750
    sealed 64gb wifi +3g iPad 2 white off a friend ;) for 700

still not sure

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's pretty hard when the prices are so close. I just think that the macbook air would be redundant. The iPad is a great new experience with the touchscreen and the appstore. I find myself using the iPad in bed where I don't think I would use an 11" MacBook Air. But that's just me.

9. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

I'd take that deal (in bold) anytime, given that it's in mint condition. Yes, there're few times I wished there's flash when I still have my iPad 1, say, some review website that contain non-youtube video review. No way to get the video loaded up.

If you take MBA, you'll feel that the MBA is an overlapping product to your MBP. iPad, however, will complement your MBP very nicely.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I would get the ipad because once you get your mbp back you'll have two laptops and will probable end up using one while the other collects dust, while the ipad is completely different and you'll still be using it afterwards.

11. jltj macrumors member

I vote iPad as well for the same redundancy arguments. I still use my iPad a lot even with my new MBA, just not as much as before...:)

12. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

The MBA11 will allow you to do pretty much any of the MBP15 stuff on it. The iPad won't.

If you need to do *work* then the MBA11 - if you want something that might be complimentary afterwards, then the iPad.