MBP temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gaura Mohana, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

Hi there
    I'm seeing wierd temps now... the MBP is around a month and a half old, and its a base 2010 '13 MPB...
    Do these temps look bad? The computer is pretty much idle at the time that the screenshot was taken... i dont recall the temps being that bad a couple of days ago... i tried restarting - no luck

btw outside it's around 30C right now

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Looks fine to me. I have pretty similar temps myself, and it looks like the fan is running at the default 2000 RPM, so no issues there. Sometimes it will just run a bit warmer. It does look like you could use a bigger hard drive though :p

4. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

thanks
    I guess i got a wee bit paranoid from reading all the posts about replacing the thermal gel (or w/e) on the 2011 MBP

I totally agree on getting a bigger HDD - ATM cant afford it. Im also hearing wierd clicking sound a couple of times a day from the HDD.....
    btw is there anyway i can use time machine to back up to a fat32 volume? I have a external 1TB drive that i just cant format - too many files would be lost. (and i cant keep the 1tb plugged in all the time - thats why it would be nice to have bigger HDD)

Btw I just switched from PC to mac... I've been using PC's ever since i was four... 11 Years later i switched :D so far its been great...
    Still trying to find good games for the MBP
    Also trying to start learning C, Objective C, and finally iOS programming..
    :D

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If the clicking is when you move it, that's normal. That's just the sudden motion sensor protecting the hard drive from damage.

As far as backup, I do believe the format has to be HFS+, but you may be able to add a separate partition to use for time machine without completely reformatting.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper all require HFS+ format for backing up your HFS+ formatted internal drive.

7. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

hmm.. i dont move the computer much... its sitting on the table pretty much all the time, but i still hear the clicks at totally random times. NOT when im idle - not when im doing something intensive either... its not really loud..
    happens a couple of times a day....

btw i do have a habit of keeping it charging all the time. what should i do? i do want to keep the battery life good so i CAN use it whenever i have to... Should i leave it plugged in all day, but discharge it to 50% once a day? (thats what i have been doing so far) or should i do something else?

btw i already got applecare.
    sorry for so many q's... just sorta new to the mac scene :D

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a good idea to leave it plugged in all the time. As long as you're running on battery for a while every few days, you'll be fine. Calibrate it to make sure your readings are accurate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: