Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

landa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
MBP mid 2009, Mountain lion. Few days ago started to have lock ups and allowing nothing. Everything returned a Unknown error message, or a Your are not allowed to modify this or that cause you don't have written privileges. I decided to make a permissions repair, disk utility make it but give me a The disk must be repaired. I restarted from the recovery partition and Disk Utility told he can´t repair the disk. I assume a damaged HD. I replace it, installed clean Mountain Lion from DVD, installed iLife, restored all user data (50 gb or so) everything so quickly... and then everything became slow, a lot of beach balls, and again the same messages, a Unknown error message, or a Your are not allowed to modify this or that cause you don't have written privileges. Console send the "kernel disk0s2 i/o error"
Once again restarted from recovery partition, and Disk Utility again telling Disk Utility can't repair this disk....
If I try to restart, some times it loads, but allows nothing more, same messages all the time. Almost every time that i try to restart it stalls in gray screen or show a loading bar (as the firmware loading bar) an then shut down.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sounds like either a bad drive cable or bad logic board. The bad cable issue is pretty common... bad logic board very uncommon.

foxf8

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
dang that serious. yea disk utility would be your best friend in that situation and should clear up the privilege errors. tho you have to run that with admin rights if logged in. have u tried other "disk utility" software?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.