MBP things to do/have

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crimsonkid, Apr 17, 2008.

1. crimsonkid macrumors member

I am about to buy my first personal Mac (insert major excitement)
    I'll be ordering it from my local retailer with 4GB of RAM and 250GB HD

I just has some questions I would really love answered if some people could help me out and point me in the right direction. I will be taking it to uni with me on a weekly basis so I need a protective case and was thinking the Incase Neoprene Sleeve?

I also want something like a clear plastic film to go on the top and bottom of my MBP for when it is sitting on my desk or something and gets moved it wont get scratched but I am not sure what to get for this, any ideas?

I am thinking of buying the griffin elevator stand to raise it on my desk when connected to my Dell 2408.

I will be getting a wired apple keyboard and was thinking of the logitech VX revolution mouse to use mainly at my home desk, but sometimes to take along with me for the ride.

My other set of questions is about what I should install and do when I first start it up.

I have read to save space it is good to reinstall the OS and iLife which should both come with my computer am I correct? Also some cool/useful programs to monitor heat and other suchs things?

If anyone could link me some good guides or something that would be very helpful.

Sorry for such and long post,

Thank you to everyone who lends some advice :D

CK

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I love the Incase neoprene, so that's a good way to go IMO.

Also, in terms of monitoring heat and other things, you can't beat iStat Pro.

3. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

does the incase sleeve fit inside a bag or another loose laptop-side bag?
    i am not sure how safe having it tumbling about with bag dividers is.

4. kevzy macrumors member

I reinstalled The OS when I received my MBP not so long ago.

It's a very easy process (I believe the were instructions in the quick start guide). Removing the languages saved me almost 2GB of space. The only downside I think and I am open to correction is that as a result of removing the languages the translator widget won't translate.

Also don't buy RAM from Apple, they really rip you off. But it yourself from a third party, it's very easy to install yourself.

5. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

Well save your self money... order stock ram upgrade from a 3rd party...(lots of theards here on which is best).....that way you can buy more accessories...

my favorite OSX add on is quicksilver....

search here to lots of great info...

6. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Personally I like the white wireless KB better than the Alu. wired KB. It feels weird typing on a laptop kinda KB in a desktop set-up.

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Mine fits, so no worries :)

8. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I love my vx nano. The revolution is good too, but the nano is just the right size to carry around.

9. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

are there any other downsides to taking off languages?
    I only speak english and am not thinking of changing that anytime soon =P

I am not getting apple RAM, its from a licensed retailers, and is costing me $240 AU, out of my dads pocket, so I can deal with that much.

Also what does quicksilver do, can anyone give me the low down? :confused:

10. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

I actually meant having it in a laptop bag, with other compartments without the incase sleeve sorry =)

But thanks for that info, I would preferablely have the sleeve plus a bag/backpack.

Oh okay thanks for that, I didn't know there was a mini.
    However I will mostly be using it at my desk, and sometimes taking it with me on outings, plus small mice I find harder to use for long periods of time. So because im studying graphic design this could be a problem =)

11. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

12. steinlager macrumors regular

I have Invisishield to prevent scratching when it's not in my sleeve. I always put it in the sleeve then in my backpack, more protection can't hurt right :rolleyes:

13. jdwingnut macrumors regular

I would highly recommend a Viper Ballistic nylon sleeve from Booqbags.com.

These sleeves not only protect the outer case of the MBP but also lend structure to its use. A very functional case as well. Has a zipper around the outside and opens like your notebook so never needs to be taken out of the sleeve.

Their bags and backpacks are great as well, but a bit on the pricey side. An excellent product in terms of quality, IMHO.

I see lots of others who mention the iStat Pro app. I like using the iStat Menu app. It installs and loads right up top in the menu bar and is always within eyesight. Both apps do essentially the same and the key here is being able to monitor what's going on.

I also have Activity Monitor from the Apple Utilities folder loaded in my dock, and set to run every time I log into my user account. This is not as detailed as either of the iStat apps, but serves well in keeping an eye on running apps at a glance as well.

Both apps run in the background and I can see what's going on at any moment, and with a simple click of the mouse can view most details of what's running and what's using resources on my Mac.

Activity Monitor allows me to quickly force quit an app should it not be responding at any time. iStat Menu is just a quick visual monitor with much greater detail of all the sensors within the MBP.

14. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

so I went to my local retailer to ask how long it would take to upgrade the 15" 2.4ghz MBP to a 250gb HD and 4Gb of RAM and they said it would take about 2 weeks!

Does this seem extreme to anyone else?

15. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Is this at the apple store?

You know, with a little bit of research on this forum you could do this in one evening.

16. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

you can do it yourself and it'll take 15 minutes max

17. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Do it yourself...it'll take 13 days and 23 hours less.

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yes, 3rd Party RAM!!!!! dont give in to the apple temptation!

19. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies
    it isn't an apple store, a retailer.
    the RAM is $550 for 4 gb or 240gb, from my retailer
    australian dollars that is.

I know i can put in the RAM myself, or I have read it is easy, however I wanted the 50gb HD option as well.

Does anyone think a store near me will stock 15" 2.4ghz, matte screen with the 250gb hd not 200?

I don't reallly want to do it myself, plus it means I have to buy it from somewhere as well

20. Grayfox215th macrumors newbie

Not sure if it was mentioned but Google search for Delocalizer. It's a program that'll let you select what languages you want on or deleted from your computer. I deleted all except English and it free'd up about 3-4gb.

21. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

thanks greyfox, that sounds very useful

can anyone help me out on this, I can either wait about 2 weeks to get my HD upgraded to 250 from 200gb, or take the stock MBP and just upgrade the ram, which takes about 10 mins =P