MBP This Year or Next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 064629009, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. 064629009 macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2010
    I'm looking into buying my first Mac, a MBP.
    I'll need to buy a laptop next year (as in, around June 2011) for university , but I really want to get one now, after the refresh. I'm wondering if there will be any major changes from this year to next; should I really wait a year? I know I know, I should wait if I can because there are always going to be upgrades. I don't need one now, but it would be nice to have one because it would be a lot faster than my current desktop computer (I'm not an intense gamer or anything, but i'll occasionally play games, heavily use photoshop/illustrator/flash, use the internet, word processors, etc., maybe not all at the same time) and i'd also take it around with me a lot.

    I'm just hesitant get one now because I'm afraid I might regret it by next year (although I don't think i'd really need any new upgrades it would come with next year...better processors, quad cores? I heard those aren't come out intil 2012 though, is this true? But even if, like I said, I don't think i'd need it). All i'm thinking is "Why not get one now instead of next year? Sure, upgrades, but will I really need them?"

    Thanks for any input :)
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    There'll almost certainly be something new by June 2011. If you can wait, you might as well.
  3. 064629009 thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2010
    Thanks, but will there really be a huge difference from next year's model to this year's upcoming model (considering my needs)?

    Also, when is the free iPod touch promotion active? Beginning of June-August?
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Who knows? Waiting a year means pretty much anything's possible, including a case redesign if you're lucky.

    Usually around then into early September.
  5. AAPLaday Guest


    Aug 6, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Wait till the end of january and see what the new ones look like. If theres not a lot of change from current ones then wait.
  6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2009
    i would wait until the next new ones come out and then buy them then [​IMG]
  7. 064629009 thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2010
    Hmm...the MBPs seem to refresh every 7 months or so...meaning another refresh is due in September. Do you guys think there will be a big difference from the upcoming Jan refresh to the Sept refresh?

    Are we expecting anything new? (You guys seem to be really good with predicting that kind of stuff...and if i'm going to wait until June to buy the MPB, I guess I can wait a bit longer until September to get an updated model)

    Thanks :)
  8. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Once Apple start using the new architecture I don't see why there's any reason to hold back. You'll probably appreciate having a while to get accustomed to your new machine and get it exactly how you want it before you go off to Uni.

    My MBP from 2007 is still awesome. Buy it when you want it.
  9. Habitus macrumors 6502a


    Feb 26, 2009
    Where ever my life takes me...
    As upgraded technology is inevitable, you might as well wait. However, that's not to say that Apple will make drastic changes (e.g., cosmetic).

    Habitus :apple:
  10. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    Avoid a Revision A machine unless you need one. Let them get the kinks out of it first.
  11. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    You're asking us to foretell the future - that's impossible. Who knows when and what apple will do. They've gone longer then 7 months to update there MBP and they've gone shorter as well.

    Rumors are swirling around that they will have something at the end of the month. What they may have in 8 more months cannot even be speculated at this point.

Share This Page