Mbp through airport security

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zblaxberg, Nov 13, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

How will I get my macbook pro through airport security? Wouldn't the x-ray machine screw it up? What do I have to make sure is done so nothing is ruined if I have my laptop in my carry on?

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's standard procedure at Airport Security in the U.S. You're required to remove your laptop from its case and place it in a plastic tray. It passes through, separately. Never had an issue with either a laptop or external HDs.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

That's standard procedure at pretty much any airport now.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

It is just like any other of the 5,000 computers they see in a day. I have had a couple airport people laugh at my parties based on the number of computers/phones per individual coming out of pockets and bags, but other than that, they are great.

The only time I ever got yelled at was when I put my MPB though not in a basket. And they were only trying to warn me that it might fall off the end of the belt... I am not sure if this is just my experience lately, but it seems like everyone has really lightened up in the last 12 months as long as you do not give them a hard time about doing their job (just take off your shoes, take the computer out, don't be talking on the phone, etc).

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Because airport x-ray machines are unable to see through laptop bags. Better not let the terrorists find out!

6. jwkay macrumors regular

jwkay

Really? In Europe, you're asked to take your laptop out of your bag, but you can leave it in its case - mine's in a Tucano neoprene second skin and they can seemingly X-ray that without any problem.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I don't think this is the case. Laptop bags can be made from the same materials as luggage...so no - the machines can see through the bags.

I know this because I accidentally let my computer go through once. The TSA agent just said WHOA! and pulled me aside, looked through my luggage, did some dusting of the laptop with some cloth pad thing and scanned the pad. As if a 5ft tall asian girl passing through with school books and a macbook would be a terrorist. Well, I guess you never know.

I have even gone through security with headphone amps and portable listening rigs that were questionable looking. Macbook pro, you are fine...just follow the rules.